AITA for not wanting to go to restaurants with our 13 m.o. twins?

james02s40

First off, yes, the search function is great, and there are several great threads. I'm making this one because I'm at the point where I'm about to try and tell my wife that we just absolutely cannot do it, and I feel terrible.

It's the usual story, I suppose: she's a very social person and really likes to "get out there and have fun", which is awesome. I want my kids to be like that. But right now, it just seems completely impossible to go feed them at a restaurant, or really anywhere outside the house. "Impossible" as in, it will unavoidably result in a failure to deliver sufficient nutrients, to say nothing of the embarrassing chaos we would bring anywhere we go.

They're fraternal boys, one of whom is a Chunkyman™ in the 95th percentile for height and weight, while the other is much smaller, in the 25th-ish percentile for weight. I know they're not the same, and that's normal, and I know the 25th percentile is fine, but still, I worry all the time about the little guy eating enough and getting enough nutrients. There are questions every day of whether he ate enough, from both of us and our sitters / relatives, and it makes me incredibly anxious. He's just not a good eater. These days I'm of the mind that he just needs the time and space to make it happen. "If it takes three hours, then it takes three hours" has been my motto as of late. Whatever it takes for him to be getting what he needs.

We've gone to restaurants before, and it's been chaotic but workable, but now their personalities are starting to show and they're becoming harder to manage. So, tonight we try this Mexican food joint, and... man. I give him small pieces of carne asada, he nibbles on one and rejects all the others. I give him little pieces of tomato and cheese and beans and rice, he nibbles and then rejects. We then move on to what should work, peanut butter crackers and cheerios, but at this point we've been there 30 minutes, I'm trying eat, my wife is trying to eat and feed the other kid, there are a million distractions and nothing is landing. By now their noise output is filling the entire restaurant, both kids have destroyed the table and the floor below it, the voice inside my head is screaming "THIS KID ABSOLUTELY MUST EAT FOOD RIGHT NOW", and I feel like I'm on the verge of a total freakout.

So, I do a little freakout. I hastily start packing up while my wife is still eating, who at this points is clearly pissed at me. We help clean up (literally swept and wiped the table down), and I throw everything in the bottom of the stroller and bounce with the quickness, just super anxious and pissed off at the sheer absurdity of ever even trying anything like this. Like, why? WHY?

The ride home is totally silent and my wife is pretty mad. She's still mad at me. I'm not asking for help with my relationship (we'll be fine, really), but I feel totally cornered. My littler son HAS TO EAT. Trying to do that anywhere but inside the house just seems like a phenomenally, obviously stupid idea, but I don't want to shut my wife down when she has ideas like this. I want to be able to go out and have fun, and I want my wife to be happy. But you know what I want way, way more than that? For my son to get all the nutrients he needs, at least three times a day, every single day, for the rest of his life.

Sorry for sounding anxious, but I really am. It's also triggering in that I feel like my own physical development was messed up because my parents didn't really concern themselves with my nutrition from like age 8 on, and I'm dead set on not doing that. So, am I just a crazy person? Should I find a place of Zen within myself and just tough it out in those times? Because, honestly, I've gotten to the point where the alternative is just saying "no" to my wife every single time she wants to go somewhere during meal time, which would almost certainly break her heart.

EDIT: I need to say thanks to all the responses. I really appreciate them, and I feel bad I can't really respond to each as much as I should. I hear everyone about my anxiety... I'm not an overly anxious person in general, but certain things about fatherhood definitely push me into a different mode. I really want to do things right, and make sure the kids have everything they need, and maybe when I feel like that's being threatened I just sort of freak out. I'll find someone to talk about it with. Thank you everybody.

@james02s40 Real talk - it’s hard to read this post and not just see your anxiety as the issue, not the restaurant. One meal will not make or break your son’s nutrition. He’s going to go through phases where he doesn’t eat, period, and that’s okay. He’s his own person. One meal a week (or whatever) will not negate the good habits you instill every other one. Truly.

You don’t have to want to go to a restaurant. I get it. They are super stressful with small children and I avoid them like the plague. But I would encourage you to seek resources for managing your anxiety about your son because at the 25th percentile he IS at a healthy weight. And whether you do restaurants or not, eating outside the home is going to be a thing at some point if you want to build well-rounded kids (and sounds like find compromise in your relationship). So, you know, maybe go do a picnic in the park for now to make it lower stakes and work back up to a restaurant.

Talk to your pediatrician. Or your therapist. Whatever resource you have. Get expert reassurance he’s healthy, and then get support for yourself. You sound like a great parent. It’s awesome you care so deeply about him, but please just be sure you aren’t accidentally projecting your issues onto him as a result.

@seekinggod2 A takeout park picnic is a really great compromise. My partner often works late so once a monthish, I feed and pack up the baby twins, grab chick fila, pick their sister up from school, and off to the park we go. The best part is it's hot AF in FL so an evening park trip is much more comfortable than any other time of day right now.

@seekinggod2 Tips managing anxiety: I similarly have severe anxiety and have had a lot of success picking restaurants that we can eat outside or get to go and eat as a picnic. Takes the pressure I feel from noisy kids off.

Tips for nutrition: As far as the concerns about nutrition, totally agree with your point that one meal here or there will not break the bank as far as nutrition. That being said, a compromise for OP’s anxiety could be to give the smaller twin a snack ahead of the meal that the boy is known to like and tolerate. That way the meal is just a “bonus” and anything not eaten is no big deal.

Tips about comparison: Unless your pediatrician is concerned about growth, I would tune out comments from third parties about a size difference. My twins in utero had a pretty stark size disparity and I had to have a second appointment a week with an MFM to check on the smaller twin. Each week the scans with the MFM were fine and I would go back to my OBGYN and express concern despite the good scan. Finally my OBGYN said: stop comparing them, they are their own individual people who just happen to have been carried at the same time. My OBGYN expressed that, had my smaller twin not been a twin (aka, it was a singleton pregnancy with no ability to compare) my smaller twin’s size wouldn’t have even triggered concern to see the MFM in the first place. It was only because of a disparity that they wanted to be careful but individually my son (smaller twin) was fine. So he (my OBGYN) told me to relax until he (or later the pediatrician) was worried and to tune out naysayers.

@torraine That's definitely an interesting idea... wasn't in the cards today because of timing. I got home from work about an hour before their normal dinner time, and my wife told me she was starving and wanted us to all go out to eat, so, we just left. I'll definitely suggest that for the future.

I worry that, being satisfied, they'll just spend their time bored and screaming, but it's worth a try.

@james02s40 Maybe feed them some food before you go, and the rest at the restaurant. Play around with the idea.

You do seem to understand that some of the problem is related to your anxiety and issues from your childhood as well though, so I would start there.

Try to make restaurants fun. Lower your expectations. Let the kids sit in their chairs with different food to try, and don't panic if it doesn't go well. They won't whither up if they don't have a perfect meal now and then.

@james02s40 Keep a bin of snacks in the car. It will change your world. At this point my kids misbehave when they are hungry, tired, or both. That’s pretty much it (except the occasional pushing of boundaries). If I have food in the car I have tackled half the problem. The sleep usually comes while we are driving.

@james02s40 It’s definitely going to be a rushed, more stressful meal for you two as the adults…. Even if you pre-feed them so they’re not hangry. It’s just not enjoyable to go out to eat like it was pre-kids…. Maybe one day, but I haven’t gotten there yet and mine are almost 2.5. We resort to letting them look at our phones if they get too wild and disruptive.

Also, I have my own Chunkman[sup]TM[/sup] (haha) and much smaller fraternal twin. The smaller one was third percentile for the longest time. To this day no one believes they’re twins. We’ve been told to feed him Pediasure to help him bulk up, so that may be a way for you to sneak in nutrition later on.

@james02s40 Can you bring them some 'safe foods' with you? I.e. foods your little one is guaranteed to have at least some of so you know they are at least getting enough even if they don't like too much of the restaurant food. Forgive me if you're already doing that. Give them those safe foods first so they don't get fussy and reject everything after. Mine do that a lot! Can you also compromise and say to your wife that you can all go out for some restaurant meals but she can go to some with other friends?

@james02s40 NAH but dude. You need to chill. I have triplets who were born 10 weeks early. They didn't make it above the 50th percentile for height and weight until they were like ... four. Our pediatrician wasn't concerned, so we weren't concerned. At 13 months they're still in major exploration mode with solid food!

It's normal to not want to take multiple babies to a restaurant - we didn't go more than like twice before they were able to sit without high chairs (so like, age 3 - 4). We practiced "restaurant manners" A LOT at home beforehand (Daniel Tiger FTW!) and now at age 6 they are restaurant champs. Get takeout for the wife, and assure her that the no eating out stage won't last forever.

You HAVE to get your anxiety around food/feeding your son under control though. This isn't a baby nutrition problem, this is a YOU problem.

@wandererofthewastes I do kind of think he's an AH for making his wife get up when she's only halfway through her dinner.

Like, I get anxiety makes us act unreasonably and we can't always control our reactions, but...I say this as someone that greatly benefited from therapy and meds, you've got a responsibility to get that under control for the sake of those around you.

It really is not okay that he made her stop eating her dinner because he was having a freakout.

OH ALSO - if I'm reading correctly the other son was still eating, so he interrupted that too. That's not okay, if that child was eating he should have been allowed to finish.

@johnvladimir That's fair. He didn't say if he at least got her a to-go box, because if he didn't, that's really an AH move. I've also benefited from therapy and meds, and I guess I'm more willing to cut a little slack if this is the first time he's had a freakout like this.

Anxious parents are not good for anyone, though. I hope he can get some help with it.

@johnvladimir I wouldn’t say he’s an AH, just overwhelmed and probably embarrassed by the situation. I mean, he felt bad enough that he literally cleaned. Sometimes it’s time to go. This sounds like it was one of those times.

I think it’s unfair of her to be upset when he’s having a freak out. He’s obviously in a heightened state, why would she want him to stay at that level of anxiety? If my partner was that upset, you can bet I wouldn’t be comfortably eating my dinner.

Back