37 weeks, twin girls, natural or section?

@lisajcoleman1 You are being delusional. Twins die at a much higher rate. You cannot in any way control the position of Baby B. That’s why baby B’s life is at risk in a twin pregnancy. It’s totally possible to have both babies “naturally” vaginally. Problem is it is also totally possible to pinch off baby B umbilical cord killing them or making them mentally disable due to lack of oxygen. Your goals should be avoiding both vaginal and c section.

@lisajcoleman1 Has the OB discussed assisted vaginal breach birth for the 2nd baby or doing an ECV on baby 2 after baby 1 is born? Is this your wife's first pregnancy? C section might be the best option but the only way to know that is to discuss all options.

@lisajcoleman1 I'm 7 weeks post partum. We did the scheduled c-section because of the too many unknowns. I'd rather just do the c section than have to have one anyway after giving birth to one vaginally. It happens.

I did make the mistake of not educating myself enough about the C-section to know what to expect. It was traumatic and I wish I had researched more. Recovery is intense make sure you mobilize your support system for that first week after. If not, consider a night doula. My parents watched the babies overnight the first week and it did wonders for my recovery. They still watch them twice a week to help us recharge. It's an incredible help.

I will also echo the "no-birth plan" recommendation. Just go with the flow and trust your medical team.

Best of Luck!

@lisajcoleman1 My singletons were all unmedicated, precipitous labors and I'm currently 29 weeks and my girls are sitting exactly like yours A down, B transverse. I have a scheduled c-section set already just in case but my doctor is willing to let me try ONLY because I have a history of 3 precipitous labors otherwise she said it would be an automatic c-section.

@electritarist My transverse b twin was externally manually manipulated into turning head down after I delivered A. I had three safe vaginal births before and that’s the only reason we opted to continue that way. A first birth of twins with one transverse? I would’ve done c section.

@lisajcoleman1 It sounds like I wrote it I was just 37 weeks a week ago was out with a hypertension diagnosis and said I would be induced at 37 weeks.
Went in was 2cm and 50% effaced with my regular contraction baby b turned head down.
Both babies were head down and I said I want to go for vaginal. Well induction lasted 24 hours no progress at all! After that I progressed to 4cm were my ob broke my water, within 5 minutes and with anesthesiology not being there in time I was 10 cm ready to push (they didn’t believe me at first).
I pushed baby A
When started to push baby b I was so lost and gone already baby B go stuck and wouldn’t come out
They tried to vacuum her, when her cord got in the birth canal. Which turned into an immediate c section!
I am currently recovering from vaginal birth with barely any pain management and c section. I am also lucky because I am part of the 35% of women that get nerve damage from a c section. Fun fun fun
Not!
Don’t stick to a plan
Trust your ob
Mine did offer me a c section from the get go however I really didn’t want that recovery (already had experience with both c section and vbac), little did I know🤦🏼‍♀️

You are putting yourself and your babies in your obs hands you should trust them.

@lisajcoleman1 I had every intention of delivering my first singleton pregnancy vaginally and ended up with HELLP and a c section. Going into our twins pregnancy I went in with the mindset whatever gets the three of us out healthy. The biggest thing early on that deterred me from even entertaining attempting a VBAC was when the MFM informed me it wasn’t uncommon for vaginal twin births to end up with the first baby being born vaginally and the second to require a c-section after their living space gets more roomy. The idea of recovering from both vaginal tearing and a c section was more than I could handle in addition to newborn twins, an older child and life.

@lisajcoleman1 It depends also on what type of twins you’re having. I had mo/di twin girls, and there’s a very high chance with a vaginal delivery that Baby B’s oxygen supply can get cut off when A is delivered, and Baby B could be born stillborn.

It wasn’t worth the cost in my opinion to have a vaginal delivery, so I went with the MFM recommended C Section.

@lisajcoleman1 I say your best bet is to find an MD who is comfortable with breech extraction. Do you have the ability to switch? It’s a dying art really but a good old timer might know and feel more comfortable.

I too was desperately wanting vaginal birth but being told to have a Section with my twins but 1) I had pre exclampsia 2) they were 34 weeks 3) I was induced 4) they were Modi and 5) they were both in the head down position.

We found an MD that was comfortable with trying for vaginal birth bc they were skilled in breech extraction (at a large academic medical center). Twin B can always move into any position so yes there was a risk per say, but we took it. We were able to have both twins vaginally and people on this thread may not understand what a big deal that can be to you personally.

I would say I disagree with the thread. Yes you should trust your doctor and what they can and can’t do but they shouldn’t limit your options they should send you to someone that can do what you ask. It’s not impossible, many doctors still know how to do it.

Be open minded that once labor begins, your birth plan is very much subject to change and that’s okay. I’m sure you already know this.

@lisajcoleman1 Both my babies were breech. So c section.

Here’s the thing…

You had a detailed natural birth plan, but when you found out you were having twins, did you not look up how much lower the rates of a natural birth were for them? You should have. It’s lower. You need to shift your expectations.

Onto the second thing. There is a chance to deliver baby a vaginally… and possibly they could flip baby b. But if they can’t, then your wife has to recover from a normal delivery AND a c section delivery. Do you both think that’s realistic?

I sure as shit wouldn’t chose to have a bum cooch and an abdominal incision, that’s for sure.

But do you man.

@imlovinjesus That’s a hard question to be honest. There’s something to be said about being able to have the experience of pushing one out. They’re the only babies we plan on having so if I hadn’t have pushed I wouldn’t have the experience . Also for me the vaginal delivery left minimal recovery so I don’t recall (They’re 2y old now) it being any worse than the c section I did have

@lisajcoleman1 Twin births can go sideways in the blink of an eye. I went in trusting my doctors advice and my only plan (other than pain meds ha ha) was to get them here safely. All birth is natural no matter how it happens and no one wins any awards or gets any prizes on the way out of the hospital for the method that was used to get their babies here safely.

@lisajcoleman1 Is this your first birth? I delivered vaginally for my twins who were in similar positions as yours. Baby B flipped head down once A was delivered. I had to deliver in the OR with a full spinal block. However my doctors were only willing to let me try vaginal because I had a prior vaginal delivery so my body had gone through it before. Had the twins been my first I likely would have had a C section and that would have been fine by me. My trusted my doctor and the health of my babies was my only priority. My birth plan was healthy delivery.

@lisajcoleman1 Going in with a detailed birth plan when pregnant with twins is a one way road to disappointment. Go in with the plan to have healthy babies and a healthy mom - that’s the only thing you should plan for. Baby B’s position doesn’t matter at all because as soon as A is out, B will have lots of space to float around. Mine were both head down. A came out and B went sideways. Ended up almost needing an emergency C (which was why I had the epidural - I wasn’t missing the birth of my babies if I needed to be cut open) and it took 3 people to get her out. I can’t imagine going without pain meds and having one doctor elbow deep in my lady parts, that were already torn open from the first one, while a nurse on each side shoved down as hard as they could to force B to stay in the middle and head towards the exit. Lord knows I didn’t plan for that - I didn’t plan for anything but us all surviving and thriving.

@lisajcoleman1 I went in for an induction at 38 weeks ready to go and baby B's heart rate was twice as fast as it should be, so it became a C Section so that they could fix it as soon as he came out. So even though I was expecting hours and hours of labor, it became one hour of operation, babies one minute apart, and recovery was just fine. The health of the babies is the most important thing for me so I don't really care how they come out. With twins, let expectations go and just go with the flow, don't compare your experience with singleton babies, and that'll be true for a long time...