29 weeks and baby measuring 3 lb 9.5 oz. I'm terrified

@asdf415 Theyā€™ll probably do another scan around 36 weeks to recheck size. My baby measured huge at both scans. The nurses and doctors swore up and down it can be a pound off in either direction and I shouldnā€™t worry, because both my husband and I are 5ā€™7ā€ and slim so ā€œthereā€™s really no way your baby would be that bigā€. Unfortunately the scans were accurate for me and my daughter was 9 lb 10 oz at birth! But if they know about the size beforehand, the delivery team will be better equipped to handle it day of. Best of luck to you and your vagina!

@lbsantos Iā€™m in a very similar boat to you- if (and I realize itā€™s a big if) the scans were accurate he was meant to be 9lbs 11oz on my due date.. Iā€™m now at 41 weeks and being induced tonight. Did you have any trouble delivering at 9 lb 10 oz? I realize there is nothing I can do at this point, just interested in your experience!

@paygan I was induced at 41+2 and after 30 hours, nothing happened. I think I only dilated to 3cm? I was exhausted by then and agreed when the doctor recommended a c section. They had to make the incision slightly larger than normal and the first words out of the doctorā€™s mouth were ā€œholy crap! Thatā€™s a big baby!ā€ but otherwise all went well! I recovered pretty quickly so the extended incision didnā€™t make much of a difference.

Just make sure you and your doctor are on the same page! I was adamant about trying for a vaginal birth but promised him that if he said there was a safety concern, I wouldnā€™t fight a c section. In response he offered to let me keep laboring ā€œfor a few more hoursā€ if I wanted but told me honestly he didnā€™t think it would help much. I felt better knowing that my plan had been discussed beforehand and was prioritizing safety

@lbsantos Well, it went pretty much as badly as possible.. I progressed well over 20ish hours, pushed for 1.5 hours, then was told there was no way he was fitting out because of the shape of my pelvis and his massive heave. I needed a c section. Which honestly would have been fine, but apparently epidurals donā€™t work for me for some reason, so I had been cycling from some relief to extreme pain all day; and switching to a c after pushing for so long and making so much progress was really disheartening and painful.

To make matters worse, I had pushed him into this part of the pelvis, so getting him unstuck even with the c section was a bit complicated.

In the end, definitely right decision; and glad I was open to it from the beginning. The big thing for me was the unforeseen unmedicated parts. Wish I had realized that was a thing!

My big baby has been super happy and sweet though!

@lbsantos 9 lbs 7 oz, so not HUGE weight-wise. But his head is massive - 2 cm above 99th percentile. And he was 22.5 inches long. The nurse needed a bigger measuring tape. So c-section was the only option.

@asdf415 Iā€™m 27 weeks. At my last appointment for Ultrasound/OB, theyā€™ve put my baby in the 95th percentile, which means baby could be 9-10Lbs.

Iā€™m 5ā€™ and pre pregnancy about 95Lbs. My vagina didnā€™t sign up for that, lol.

I suppose because Iā€™ve done this before; my kids are 16 and 11, my mentality is, whatever happens, happens. We are lucky to have modern medicine, so weā€™ll be okay. And like another commenter pointed out, just because itā€™s a possibility, doesnā€™t mean it will actually happen.

Remember to do kegals though. Kegals are important, whether youā€™re having a big baby or not. Iā€™ve been doing kegals every day since becoming pregnant with my first 17 years ago.

@asdf415 My Dr had me worried about the babyā€™s size, but with the opposite problem, being too small. After having three relatively large babies (8-6 to 9lbs) my 4th baby was measuring ā€œsmallā€ according to the ultrasounds. I was getting growth scans every three weeks and was closely monitored. I was just induced at 38w0d and baby was 7lb 5oz. So not the SGA as expected, wouldā€™ve probably been 8+lbs at 40 weeks. Anyway, my point is, and as others have already pointed out, the estimations can be way off. Personally, Iā€™d rather have a bigger baby than small. I had so much anxiety during this pregnancy thinking Iā€™d have a teeny tiny baby.

@asdf415 They canā€™t quite tell how big the baby is at this point. They told me my baby would be 5 pounds, and she was unfortunately 4 pounds when she was born.

I know youā€™re terrified, and every woman is. You can do this. And youā€™re going to meet your beautiful baby when itā€™s over.