Winter gloves for 3YO’s non-snowy forest school?

frozenocean

My daughter goes to an outdoors school in a local park. It doesn’t snow where we live but we do get frost and freezing temps. When I dropped her off this morning it was 37 degrees (F) and the only gloves we have are knit that get soaked and cold almost instantly. Any recs for cold weather, water-resistant gloves/mittens that might be less bulky than snow gloves?

@levi My neighbor is in her 70s and said when she was a kid her grandmother knitted all the grandkids double-layer wool mittens. It looked like two mittens attached to each other at the cuff, and you would push one end inside the other to make it double-layer. She said she and her siblings and cousins would play outside in Michigan in the snow for hours, then come inside and pull them back 'out' to dry on the radiator, then put them right back on later that day. She said their hands were never cold, even when the mittens got wet from the snow.

I've got Disana and Polarn O Pyret for my kids (2 and 4) since I wanted to try wool. They seem to keep their fingers pretty warm into the 30s. We usually switch to ski mittens much colder than that, although the kids have never complained about the wool ones not being warm enough. The wool ones aren't as bulky as the ski mittens so the kids can still pick up sticks and rocks and do other Important Outside Activities. The POP ones were a lot more affordable than the Disana ones, but that may vary with where you are able to find them. I got the POP ones from Outdoor School Shop online, and I got mitten clips to go with them. POP also makes 'rain mittens' that are just a waterproof layer, and sometimes we use those over the top of the wool for particularly wet or snowy days.

Back