How to make baby carrier warmer for winter walks

@twinklesamir We used this baby carrier cover. It has elastic all around the edge, so I would layer up baby a bit and put him in and then put this one around the carrier. It covered up his feet well. If it wasn't too cold I did this with my jacket just opened and him on front. When it got colder though I zipped up my jacket around me and then put the carrier on top. This has pockets in the front which is nice to keep my hands on him and also warm.

@twinklesamir I have the uniqlo cover too and it's so versatile given the various snaps on the top and bottom. I'm in Canada and have used this over my Moby wrap, Tula, and sometimes in the stroller for brisk autumn walks. The snaps help it from falling down off the stroller. I like how it rolls up nicely for storage too.

@twinklesamir I actually picked mine up in the States when I was on vacation years ago but are you on the Uniqlo Canada website? I found it under BABY LIGHT WARM PADDED 2WAY BLANKET and it seems to add to the shopping cart ok. Link to product provided below.

Just a note, as the other poster noted above, it's not super thick so I would also dress little one in warm layers, but it was nice to have this additional layer to add on top.

https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E418768-000?colorCode=COL04

@twinklesamir Oh no!! Is there a Canadian online shopping site? I've never seen it in their US stores by me either - I found it online last year and have been stalking them since (didn't want to pay $30 since I already have another, but for $20 it's a steal! And so versatile)

@twinklesamir I've seen people use a toddler coat to keep bub warm. So you unbuckle the straps of your carrier and pass them thru the arms of the coat so that the inside of the coat is against the front outside fabric of the carrier. Does that make sense? You can then tuck the front of the coat around the sides of the baby/carrier to keep them warm.

Plus you then have a bigger coat already for when they grow.

I've seen people have success with age 3 or 4 coats.

@twinklesamir I know of people who have taken their coat to Winners or Value Village and tried the zipper with kids vests/coats to see if any have matching zippers. Then you can zip the kids vest/coat to yours as a coat extender for much cheaper.

@twinklesamir I just took baby for a walk last weekend in this. I wore my fuzzy north face zip up underneath and he wore his fuzzy body suit and hat. I wore my coat over my shoulders. There’s a built in hood I threw over him too. I was so hot by the time we were done. It was about 35 degrees F. Our body heat together really kept him more than comfortable and he slept the whole time

@twinklesamir Depends how cold it is but I’d literally just cover baby with a blanket and wear layers on him. We’d go hiking with our carrier so it’d get cold but he’d stay toasty and so would I LOL. I would wrap the blanket around the front of us and tuck it around the straps to keep it in.

@twinklesamir A 4/5t sized jacket. Maybe you can find some used if you don't want to invest in one because you don't know which size your kid will be in a couple of years.
You put the baby in the carrier. Then you'll open the jacket and flip it upside down. Baby's legs go into the arms openings. You could tie the ends of the arms of the jacket with rubber bands to prevent wind getting inside.
Then you'll just pull the rest of the jacket over the panel, you can either use safety pins to pin it at the straps or clothes pins or just tuck it under the straps of the carrier. Hope this makes sense. So where the kid's butt would be if a preschooler would wear the jacket, that part covers now the top rail of the carrier. Baby's butt is covered by the neck of the jacket.

Extra tip: Take a large belt or something to get around you because otherwise your jacket/coat will be open and it'll get cold.

You could also ask in your family or ask your friends if someone can spare a jacket that's two sizes of the size you'd normally wear. That should be enough to close it around both of you. I used my step dad's skiing jacket.

Bundling up in layers is not recommended. First thing is that the baby will no longer be ergonomic. Also wool is the only thing that would keep the baby warm since it's not poofy. Winter clothing works with air between layers. When babywearing those layers get compressed so it won't be that warm.
Then baby could overheat (especially if your going in and out of stores). Best thing is to share body heat. Your temperature will help to regulate your kid's temperature.
Third thing: you don't have to stay in the cold when the baby is asleep. Terrible mistake I made back then. I had trouble to get the kid to nap but I also needed to go somewhere. So I've bundled her up good (fleece and wool). When I was done she was finally asleep and I went home because the wind was a bit cold. I came home, stood in front of the door and realized that she would wake up if I took her out of the carrier. I literally just got her to fall asleep, the night was shitty so I didn't want to risk anything. So I went downstairs again, tried to find a wind-free spot and just stood there because she was warm enough. Next times I put her in the wrap in normal clothes, put either a cover on or or big jacket. Whenever I came home, I took off my clothes and she didn't overheat and I didn't have to take her out.

Back