Baby wearing outdoors in the winter?

@aishaaa I think an extra jacket is the way to go. I’m not in as cold weather, but I bought a maternity extra thick hoody for winter weather with baby in carrier where I am.

@aishaaa This gets asked pretty often in this sub. You can search for old threads that will likely yield lots of input for you.

Personally, I scored a fantastic second hand maternity coat that also fit nicely over my son when I front wore during his first and second winters (February Baby). It has snaps which I think made it more customizable than a zipper would have. Just put on gloves and warm booties in addition to his warm outfit and hat, and he was good to go. Very happy and warm little guy. We walked every day, often multiple times a day, with this arrangement.

Pregnant again and just busted out the coat to cover my third trimester belly on our first cold night of the year. Will definitely use it again when wearing my daughter in a few months!

If you plan to backwear during the winter eventually, I’d look into a baby wearing specific coat that accommodates that. I’m very small and knew based on my son’s size and time of birth, coupled with our local climate, that I would not be back wearing him by his third winter. And I was right. So it wasn’t a product I needed.

@aishaaa If you can find one of these on poshmark or something I highly recommend: Light Warm Padded 2-Way Blanket https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/produc...ode=999&utm_medium=social&utm_source=appshare

It isn’t super duper warm but along with layers underneath it’s a great windbreaker layer. It has a detachable hood and snaps to adjust a foot pocket for baby. It can also be used in a stroller. I swear it was one of the most used baby things we had in the first 2 years. Once they’re back carry you can also drape it over you two like a cape.

@aishaaa I've just bought a babywearing cosy and it's great (https://www.babywearingcosy.com/), waterproof, fleece lined (detachable fleece) and has a hood for baby and hand pockets for me.
Means it's just one thing to buy regardless of who is baby wearing, and no new coat needed for me...I can flex what I'm wearing depending on temp or outfit etc

@aishaaa I bought an amazing coat from Seraphine with real wool and it has a carrying part. I love it so much and I would 100% recommend it.

I have a small LO so I use it to front carry to this day. But it’s also very pretty when I’m not carrying her. So you can use it still when your not carrying your LO

@aishaaa Fleece booties for over socks

Take a large baby blanket, fold diagonally into a triangle and then layer it over the carrier. tie it in a knot behind your back and tuck/trap the bottom ends of the triangle under her bum to add an extra barrier for the legs to stay warm

@aishaaa Wool base layer. Fleece layer. Sometimes more wool or snowsuit. Windproof layer (omit if snowsuit.

Feet: wool socks, stonz with the wool liner or knit/crochet booties in a windproof cover.

If it’s really cold thin wool/wool and silk balaclava (if under 2 the kind that doesn’t cover the face at all. With a wool hat with ear flaps (with or without balaclava. If the baby is old enough a deep wind proof hood to block wind is good. Sometimes an dicky or a neck warmer.

Mitts are tricky and my downfall every year. Except little babies. Preferably for little babies if they don’t have excessively long arms the snowsuits that flip over the sleeves to make a mitt are usually good. Older babies whatever they will keep on. Half the time they end up stealing my mitts because theyre warm

@aishaaa I just wore a big jacket of my husband's over both of us. I miss those days, we both stayed snuggly warm! I also had a cape like thing I wore sometimes, but the jacket was less fiddly.

@aishaaa I bought a giant down coat to see me through my pregnancy and was able to zip it right up over LO when he was wee and I could front-wear in the ergo. That got us through our first winter!

@aishaaa Carrier covers are made for all different weather conditions. I had a down one for cold temperatures, a fleece one for chilly but not terrible temperatures, and a waterproof one I could use alone or layer for terrible weather. You could also use these if you back carry.

As others have said a larger coat (I never got a special maternity one, just a bigger size one rate for down to -4 degrees). I preferred to share a coat if I knew that I would be nursing or temps were single digits or less, but the covers if I wanted to have more control over temperature.

@aishaaa I used to take my granddaughter in the Maine winters walking quite often while I wore her.

Remember you both will have each other for warmth so you can actually over do it…next thing you know you’re sweating your ass off and so is the baby on a 20 degree day!

Light snug layers on baby…I used to put thick tights with feet in them on first and leave some room in the feet, and along sleeve onesie as abase layer. Then a one piece zip up outfit on top then a little 2 piece sweatsuit on top. I would use baby socks under the baby mittens for the hands and a couple pairs of socks for their feet, with at least one pair of socks being tall to go over the knees, and a hat! Then I would put the baby and carrier on top my winter get up then I would wrap a blanket around baby and tuck the blanket all around the carrier.

I actually more struggled with not overdressing the baby then not dressing the baby well enough! Mostly you need to worry about the feet and hands and ears because your core heat will keep baby plenty warm.

Back