What do your babies wear to sleep

angelgirl4890

What do your babies wear to sleep? My LO is 5 months and he’s been in sleep gowns since about 3.5 months when he started hating the swaddle. He likes to sleep with his arms up and now he’ll sleep on his back, side and tummy. What do you put your LO’s in to sleep? For reference, it’s about 76-80F° in his room at night.
Reason I’m asking is because the only sleep gowns I’ve found are sized 0-6 months, so what am I supposed to put him in when he grows out of them?

ETA: LO sleeps with a fan on. We live in a hotter climate and no he’s not too hot when he sleeps, doctor knows about room temperature.
For those of y’all commenting on it being too hot, we live in a hot climate and when we kept the room cooler (~70°F), he’d wake up because he was cold and would go back to sleep when we bundled him up in more clothes.

@angelgirl4890 I’m in Florida, but LO’s room is 65-68 at night. We’ve used the entire Magic Merlin sleep suit system, just now moving up to the walker suit. He wore a light weight long sleeve under the marshmallow suits and fleece footies under the sleep sacks…he was in those in winter when it would sometimes be even colder. Debating getting new pajamas without feet since summer bedroom temps are 68-70. We have a cotton instead of micro fleece suit for summer naps when it’s warmer. Love magic Merlin!

@angelgirl4890 Just came here to say that I hate the fact that they don’t make sleep gowns in larger sizes. They’re great for night time diaper changes and keep little one from getting too hot. LO outgrew 0-6 sizes recently and I miss them!! Anyways, lots of good comments on sleep options already. Carry on!

@angelgirl4890 I would just do diaper and .5 tog sleep sack at that temp or a onesie and .5 tog Muslin or bamboo sleep sack depending

Edit: adding in actually ergo pouch has .2 tog items which is probably the way to go!

@angelgirl4890 Having lived in a tropical climate, we had our AC at 27-28C (about 80F) in our room when outside was 38C. It was plenty cool and I needed a bed cover at night. I don’t know anyone that blasts AC below 25.

As for gowns, most people go on to using a sleep sack. Most people use thin muslin ones, and you can dress LO in a thin under layer as you see fit.

@jimmyh214 I’m curious what sort of temps your summers are? 19C coupled with humidity, you would see people wearing light sweaters! Where we live outside at night is around 30-32C. The government even has a mandate that stores cannot set AC to under 26C and food places to 22C.

@angelgirl4890 Loulou lollipop are my favorite sleep sacks. There’s muslin, 1.0 TOg and 2.5 TOG. I have all 3 and use at different times of the year.

We keep our house at 68 in the winter but in the summer it’s up to about 74 as our A/C doesn’t cool the bedrooms much.

When it’s 74, my babe wears thin bamboo or 100% cotton onesie and the muslin sleep bag. When it’s winter and our house is 66-68, fleece onesie and 2.5 tog sleep
Bag.

Kyte baby, Perlimpinpin, all have sleep bags that go up to 2 years

@angelgirl4890 Our room is consistently 24C at the moment (we’re going through an extended summer here in Perth, Western Australia). Overnight temps are still sitting around 20C and our house doesn’t cool down that easily. We have a 6wo and she’s been sleeping in a singlet and a 0.2tog sleep sack. We sometimes have the fan on but it’s been drying out our nasal passages causing respiratory issues so we’ve had to put a vapourisor on too. It’s so hard to dress babies in weird climates/weather. My instinct tells me to stick with breathable materials like organic cotton and bamboo. Pretty much can’t go wrong after that.

I think Ergopouch and Love to Dream might have what you need for your baby?

@angelgirl4890 You guys are talking as if it was super warm in the room. 25 degrees Celsius (77f) is very standard in many places around the world with more tropical weather (surprise it can get even warmer, I know, shocker). I don’t see babies having insane high rates of SIDS in the Caribbean, African continent or the Middle East. It’s really ok to put baby on a thin diaper shirt or cooling bamboo pj and a really thin 0.5 tog sleep sack (I use halo).

There is so much privilege in these responses.

OP halo does sleep sacks for older babies too. Also a brand called Aden and Anais do specially thin swaddles (edit to say sleep sack not swaddle)

I live in warmer climate and I am not a big fan of the A/C (pun not intended) so we prefer to sleep with window open (it’s also healthier than a/c imo) and we just dress baby a little lighter based on that.

@angelgirl4890 Fleece footie PJs if it’s cold, cotton/bamboo footie PJs if it’s warm! footless cotton/bamboo PJs if it’s really hot. My baby never liked being swaddled and never liked sleep sacks either! We live in the south so it doesn’t get terribly cold here, we put fuzzy crib sheets (tight to the mattress & breathable, no extra blankies in the crib) on during the winter and that seemed to help keep him warm. I used to get stressed and tried to force him to wear the sleep sack because it seemed like something he “should” like, but he didn’t so eventually I gave up lol.

@angelgirl4890 We do a long sleeve white body suit and our Woolino Sleep Sack since it helps control body temp! For those being rude about temp - I’m sorry. We recently invest A LOT of money in new heating and cooling for our house but over the winter baby’s room was as warm as 76/77 and we dressed him accordingly. He definitely prefers to be warmer. His room is exactly 72 now, and when his room is below 70 he wakes up cold.

Sorry for the rude people 😎

@angelgirl4890 Our son’s bedroom gets this warm in the summer (we’re in western Canada). He likes being warm, but in this temp we usually stick to a short sleeve diaper shirt and a muslin sleepsack, or even just diaper and muslin sleepsack.

It is warm for a baby’s bedroom, but the people coming for you here have to check their privilege. Not everyone has a choice. A fan will keep the air circulating, and an open window to let in the cool night air if that’s an option. We’re all just doing our best!

@angelgirl4890 Your room is quite a bit hotter than I keep my house (normally around 70F) so my baby wears pyjamas and a sleep sack on top. It’s really not recommended for babies to sleep in such a warm room, so I’d suggest lowering the room temp and adding a sleep sack.

@angelgirl4890 Our baby prefers to sleep in a cold room, like 66-68. If it’s on the lower end we do footies and a sleep sack. Perfect temp we do a bodysuit and sleep sack. If it’s warm we do a diaper and sleep sack only. We like the Woolino sleep sack, but I’m going to look into a lighter one for summer because she runs so hot. She had trouble going to sleep without the sack and often gets her leg stuck in the crib slats without.

Back