What do y’all do when your wife is away on a business trip and you’ve got all three kids 24/7?

@sweetsuzy In truth the very last point was a little inaccurate / off - pretend like I didn’t miss her house work, or extra hands helping out with the kids. We always tell she’s missed.

And by day four I’m a little over it - so the house isn’t perfect when my she returns. I bring the house to zero every night so i can be more present and a tidy house helps me stay calm and parent better.

It is hard work, but I love it — helps me create better connections with my kids.
Last

@ajewelinhiscrown Get them all on a solid sleep schedule. Solid bedtime routine, don’t change it because mom is away, keep it as close to normal as possible (and if it can’t be done for all kids by 1 parent, that’s a problem that needs to be addressed).

If the 2yo is giving up naps, then no naps, especially not for 3 hours! It’ll help them sleep better at night and help you with getting them to sleep.

@nathanlandon1 Also make a big, simple meal that lasts a few days. You can avoid unnecessary spending on takeout - something like spaghetti and a vegetable of your choosing or some sautéed chicken, rice a roni and broccoli.

Keep it simple. Keep it smart. Keep it relatively healthy.

@ajewelinhiscrown I've only got two kids, but bedtime is so much easier for me when my wife is out of the house. The kids do bedtime with her just fine but they stretch it out. When I try to do bedtime while my wife is home, they fight me on everything and tend to go to bed without a story.

When my wife is gone, the kids go up and start getting ready as soon as I tell them to. My 3 year old still needs help getting PJs on, and they both need help brushing their teeth well. Once they're dressed and clean and have gone potty, they'll both sit on my younger's bed while I read to them and then go to their own beds and say goodnight. It's fast and easy and there are rarely tears.

Back