We are water safety experts from the National Drowning Prevention Alliance! Ask us anything about keeping kids safe near water!

prepared4all

Introduction

I'm Adam Katchmarchi, CEO of the National Drowning Prevention Alliance (NDPA). I'm Julie Gilchrist, Chief Medical Director at the NDPA. We are water safety experts! Ask us anything about keeping kids safe near water!

Overview

May is National Water Safety Month and we have assembled a panel of experts to answer any questions that parents and caregivers might have about water safety and drowning prevention. The AMA will be in support of the National Drowning Prevention Alliance's #FirstSport Campaign that launched on May 1st and is meant to cause pause in the mind of parents/caregivers as to consider what sport they really should be teaching their children first - not football, not soccer, not basketball...swimming (which starts with water competency)! Drowning is the number one killer of toddlers in America, which means water competency is more than just a sport; it’s a vital survival skill.

Experts & Proof
More Information
  • Adam and Julie will be joining the AMA to answer any and all questions starting at 2pm ET on Friday May 17. The AMA will open for questions at 11am ET.
  • Check out the #FirstSport PSA here:
    OR https://ndpa.org/firstsport/
  • For more information on the NDPA, visit: www.ndpa.org
  • To download the NDPA's Water Safety Toolkit, click here: https://ndpa.org/toolkit/
Fast Facts on Water Safety
  • Drowning is the single leading cause of death for children ages 1-4 and the second leading cause of unintentional injury death for children up to age 14.
  • Nearly 40% of drownings treated in emergency departments require hospitalization, transfer, or further care (compared with 10%for all unintentional injuries).
  • There is an average of 4,012 unintentional drowning deaths each year.
  • Drowning is fast and silent. It can happen in as little as 20-60 seconds.
  • 88% of children drowning with at least 1 adult present and close to 70% of toddler drownings occur during a non-swim time.
  • For every fatal childhood drowning, another 7 to 8 receive emergency department care for non-fatal drowning.
  • We lose 11 school buses worth of children to fatal unintentional drowning per year, with the average school bus seating 80 students.
  • Two out of three drowning incidents that take place in the home occur in a bathtub.

@dreamjaney This is a great question! I wish more people would ask about the true facts about drowning. Most parents are shocked to find out that drowning is the leading cause of death for children ages 1-4 and that toddler drownings are more likely to take place outside of a planned swim time. Additionally, Black children ages 5-14 are at much higher risk than their peers. The CDC just released data this week that compares our 2022 and 2021 drowning rates to 2019's - children 1-4 rose 28%, black people as a whole rose 28%, and older adults aged 65-74 rose 19%. These are alarming and significant increases in a short period of time. The CDC also released results of a recent survey that estimates that over 40 million adults don't know how to swim. If the public isn't aware of the risks, they won't know the simple steps they can take to keep their family safer around water. Another scary fact is that drowning doesn't look like it does in the movies and on TV. It is silent and fast, it can happen in as little as 20-60 seconds. Parents can learn more by visiting ndpa.org/flrstsport and drowningdoesntlooklikedrowning.com

@paul3993 We don't have any research available at this current time to ascertain the exact reason why we are seeing an uptick. It is likely due to a variety of factors including: 1) people changed the way they recreated during the pandemic, 2) swim lessons were shut down for a significant period of time during the pandemic, 3) there is an increase in the number of residential pools, 4) many facilities are still being impacted by the on-going lifeguard and swim instructor shortage, and 5) many people are participating in recreational activities in natural water and may not understand all of the risks and safety precautions for those environments.

@jaffa145 Great question! We don’t recommend a specific program as there are many different options when it comes to learn to swim lessons. There are many programs, curriculums, philosophies, and instruction styles (including survival and traditional approaches). Some lessons are delivered daily in short durations, while other lessons are offered on different schedules. Lessons can also come in a variety of price points for families. Parents need to 1) research what programs they have available, 2) find a program that works for their schedule, budget, and parenting style, 3) visit programs to ensure a good fit, and 4) open productive lines of communication with the instructor. We want to ensure that children aged 1 and above are learning skills such as floating and simple swim sequences. They aren’t going to be an Olympic swimmer at age 1, 2 or 3, but they can learn basic skills. We don’t have enough research on programs to say what program, approach, or curriculum is the best. And there are a lot of other factors that can impact which program is right for a family. Above all else, your child should learn skills in any style of lesson, and you should feel comfortable with all aspects of the program. We have a swim lesson checklist available to help you with the right questions to ask a learn to swim program provider. That and more information can be found at www.NDPA.org/FirstSport

@prepared4all What flotation devices/styles do you recommend for children in the 1-2 year age range? For a pool, not boating or anything. There's a lot of options out there and it's hard to figure out what is the safest option.

@czilla85 hey, great question. it is impossible to know exactly which one is best. US Coast Guard approved flotation devices that are properly fitting are great but remember that these will keep your child in the upright position. This will limit their ability to learn and practice their swimming skills. Air filled arm bands are toys and can puncture or dislodge so they are not appropriate for safety. If you are one on one with your child, consider letting them explore the water and learn about buoyancy and floating.

@lois2013 if you are one on one with the child, let them learn what the water is like and begin to understand their skills. If you are outnumbered by non- or weak swimmers, then it might be a good idea to use a flotation device. Just make sure it fits well and is US Coast Guard approved. However, realize that when wearing a life jacket or other flotation, they won't be learning life saving swim skills because they can't learn to float on their own

@prepared4all It only takes a second. I was with my niece & nephew at the pool several years ago & a woman came in with a toddler & a slightly older child. I was busy with the kids I had brought in & didn’t see the toddler escape from her mother before Mom had the chance to put a floatation device on her.

All of a sudden I hear, “Get…get her…get her…!!” I look down & the toddler is under the water RIGHT NEXT TO ME. Me & another lady each grabbed an arm & pulled her up.

The child was okay. Her mom led her back to their chair chanting, “Swimmy! Swimmy! Swimmy!”

This was in a crowded pool with several adults around.

It was THAT quick & THAT quiet.

@tenorikuma That is exactly right. It is that quick and that quiet! And kiddos don't know what they can and can't do. She may not know that she can't swim, especially if she's always worn some type of flotation aid. That's why it is so important that kids learn lifesaving skills (like flotation) at the time that they start walking. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests as young as age 1 - because that is supported by the science. And the highest drowning risk is in our 2 and 3 year olds! Kids who know how to float are more aware of the risks of water and their own skills or lack thereof. Also, we need to try to teach our kids pool rules which means that they don't get into the water until mom or dad or other adult is in and invites them in! That way you know you'll be ready when they enter the water.

@richardson217 There may be some things online but you should pursue scholarships to learn to swim lessons. Groups like Judah Brown Foundation and Live like Jake provide assistance for learn to swim. Being able to teach your own child is challenging and it's often best to find a class. But congratulations for being wise enough to recognize how important this is. You can certainly reinforce what your child learns in class on your own time. You are awesome!

@prepared4all I just bought a house with a pool and immediately had a pool fence installed. I keep doors locked and they have an unreachable lock as well, and my son is in swim lessons. Other than a fence, are there any major must-haves? Door alarms? Floating decks? Water disturbance alarms? Etc.

Back