Tip for cutting nails for the first one e

lilbrenda

Seeking to any tips you have learned for baby's first nail cutting.

We have the baby sissor cutters and baby nail clippers. Tips for both. Lo toe nails are currently growing up oddly so advice for that would be great!

@hannah2000 Facts. Only thing is they ruin the nails. My 1st daughter we only electric filed her nails. Now at 2 yo her nails are always chipping. I stopped using it and do old school now

@lilbrenda I only used the baby nail clippers but I basically waited til they were asleep and motionless lol. And I waited a few weeks. When they were super little the nail is softer yet so you can just use your only nail to softly pull off anything that comes loose and use the long sleeve onesies that cover their hands in the mean time.

@lilbrenda Electric nail file for babies. Stops automatically if it hits skin. I've tried it on myself and just putting the file to my skin barely feels like anything. Baby sleeps through it.

@lilbrenda We have the nail scissors and our boy is almost 4 months now. I've found that it's easiest if: he's asleep or at least really sleepy or milk drunk, or if he's swaddled with only his little hands poking out (not the whole arm!)- then he can't flail or wriggle much, and/or if he's distracted by something else such as the other caregiver or a fun toy etc. The only time we accidentally clipped skin was maybe the 3rd time we ever tried and he was wide awake and my husband decided to try and rush and do it right before my parents arrived for a visit lol! So don't do that! Take all the time you need and coo/smile/distract baby between fingers as needed.

@lilbrenda I prefer the actual clippers which is an unpopular opinion, but I’m also a STM and have gotten good with them. Most people like the electric file for babies.

@lilbrenda We used the electric file from when she was newborn but now at 17 months it just doesn’t seems as effective. I bought the FridaBaby clippers and they were so chunky and imprecise, I couldn’t see how I wouldn’t slice some skin accidentally.

Had fantastic success today with just a pair of regular adult nail clippers (not scissors). They made it easy to avoid skin and my daughter was completely unphased, whereas with the electric file and other things she always got annoyed. Had both hands done in probably less than a minute. We’ll see if this success lasts.

@lilbrenda I insisted on not getting the electric nail file at first, but after cutting my baby’s finger twice with the nail clippers and feeling like the worlds worst mom, I’m now a big fan of the Hakka nail file.

@lilbrenda When my baby was in the NICU the nurses told us for the first few months their nails are so soft you can literally peel them off. This is the method we used, and we would use a regular old nail file to file down any sharp spots.

When they're a bit older, nail clippers are scary, imo. I accidentally clipped my baby's skin the first time I used them. Definitely make sure you've only got nail in there if you go that route lol. It helps if you look at it from the side rather than from the top or front. If you don't like the nail clipper method, I would go with an electric file.

My baby will never stay asleep while I clip his nails, so I just kinda clip them slowly throughout the day whenever I get the chance to make it less stressful on us both

Back