The ever-present vehicle question; what to buy?

rmbinsb

Current situation: a 2 y.o. toddler with twins on the way. '02 Chevy Tahoe in good condition but nearly 200k miles, '15 VW Passat that we're going to sell back to VW. We originally were planning on replacing the Tahoe when we thought that we are going to add just one to the family but now the type of vehicle we're looking for has changed. I can't bring myself to drive a minivan, it's a no go. We're planning on selling the VW back do to the recall and paying cash for something like a Ford Explorer that my wife would drive. The Explorer fits 3 car seats, would have limited storage but would allow her to fit all three kids (the VW Passat won't). In place of a 4 door truck, I have my eye on the Nissan NV (not sure on the exact trim) but my wife isn't too keen on the idea of a full-size van. My logic is that the Nissan NV has a good price point, it would allow for ample storage (strollers, groceries, luggage for vacation, lumber for my projects crib #1 and dresser, crib #2 I'm still excited about those projects) and allows us to bring additional passengers. My question: if we have one reasonably sized vehicle like the Explorer would a full-size van be overkill?

@calebmariotti I'm don't think I'll regret getting something besides a minivan but this could be due to me being stubborn and not wanting to admit my faults. I have two friends who were like me, not wanting to buy a minivan, but they eventually did and love it. One of them has 3 kids. Both friends LOVE their emasculating vans this is why I'm 99% sure that I don't want one rather than 100%. I really value my buddies opinion and appreciate yours. Thanks!

@rmbinsb I have a BMW 335i and find myself curiously wanting to drive the minivan even when I don't have my kids. Who cares about image. It's a good car. You'll like it and if you're on a budget it is a sure bet since it can grow with your family. It would suck to have to buy another car if you have another kid accidentally or planned. I recommend the Honda because you can fit the baby seats in the middle middle and middle driver side and still get into the back to buckle your older ones.

@rmbinsb Practice getting three kids out of one bench seat. What will your toddler be doing while you are baby-juggling? Mini vans allow you to move between seats, kids can stay in the car until you are ready for them to leave, etc.

Had a Dodge Durango, and though it was not a mini-van, getting mini-people in and out (especially as they stopped being so mini) blows. And if you have a little that is mobile, holy shit dude.

@rmbinsb Do your research before buying an explorer. We have one and it does not fit three car seats across safely. Sure, you could wedge them in there, but they do not all install independently in the location that they should. The middle seat is the issue, it is only 11" between the seat belts and will not accommodate any convertible or bucket car seat on the market without pushing the other two seats outward, which is not a proper install. We got an odyssey for me and ended up keeping the explorer. In a pinch, you could put the the two infant seats in the outboard second row seats and a convertible forward facing in the third row, but it's super inconvenient because you have to fold down a second row seat, and can't rear face in the third row because there isn't enough space front to back. It also only has three LATCH set ups total, the outboard second row seats and one side in the third row. All in all, not a good car for multiple small children unfortunately. I loved driving it, but for 3 kids in car seats it just doesn't work in a practical way.

@rmbinsb You're very welcome. I did a lot of research before moving to mini van land. I really love driving an SUV and did not want a van, but it is what will work best for our family. I also looked heavily at the Honda Pilot, which will fit 3 across, but I'm only 5'4" and getting 3 kids up in there would have been a nightmare. I've been driving the odyssey for a few weeks and actually like it more than I thought i would.

But I will trade it in for an SUV as soon as reasonably possible!

@rmbinsb I have 3 (Twin Girls, now 10, and my son, now 11) and we've gone through MULTIPLE vehicles so I can tell you from experience, the Honda Odyssey is the way to go. I thought I was too cool for a mommy van, but once I drove one I was in love. It's BY FAR the easiest thing to travel in with car seats, and once they get older you will love it for hauling around the extra kids that come once they reach the "can so and so come over" ago. It'll be here before you know it! Good luck!! It's a blast :)

@dante404 Damn you voice of reason:) I know that I'm in the wrong for not wanting a minivan but they just aren't my thing. Then again, I've never had 3 kids under 3 before. I better start reassessing my life. Thanks!

@rmbinsb Have the NV SL. Absolutely love love love it. Very nice interior, price, and really good warranty. The V8 hauls ass on the highway without breaking a sweat. Only drawback for me is no 4wd. Other car is a Prius V, we fit 3 car seats across the back well enough for around town. I'm not sure you need an explorer just to fit 3 car seats. We looked at both minivans and suburbans and were quite disappointed with 3rd row access when using dual convertible (non removeable) rear facing car seats. Happy to answer any questions abut the NV.

@bstudy The Suburbans are super expensive so there's no way that we'll be heading that route. The major draw for the NV is that we'll be able to go do all of our activities and never have to worry about space. How is parking, backing up, gas mileage and the overall ride? I'm not a bells and whistle guy, I need my vehicle to work for a long time and do its job. Thanks!

@rmbinsb Yep, a new suburban is stupid money. We were looking at used ones at around 35k, still a ton of money. And these were not exactly cream puffs so it was kind of a bummer to shell out that kind of money for a 5 year old car with 30-50k miles. Especially after getting all the car seats, dog crates, etc and playing around with one that a buddy has, the disappointment of that exercise convinced me that a van was the only way for us. I would have been ok with a Chevy express van but my wife was none too psyched about the styling inside and out. Hence the SL trim on our NV. The warranty sealed the deal.

Never having to worry about space is great. We don't even have to fold up our double stroller. It's also great when it's raining and everyone can run and pile everything into the car quickly and then get organized once inside.

Backing up is fine with the camera. It would be a pain without it. Parking is not a big deal but I love the car so I'm always looking for an end spot or park far away mostly to avoid door dings. The mirrors are great, no blind spot at all, changing lanes is easy.

Can do about 17-18 mpg on the highway if you go easy, but expect 14 or so overall. Nice big gas tank so you aren't getting gas every 3 days like with some SUVs.

Ride is good unless the road is really shitty. Remember it's a heavy duty commercial truck and has a live rear axle. Highway driving is great, 85 is solid as a rock and effortless. Feels the same loaded to the brim as empty. I haven't towed anything big yet so not sure there.

Make sure you have a place to store all the seats you aren't using when you take them out of the car. They are heavy and take up a lot of room. Also check with your insurance company, I've heard others have trouble on a regular policy because it is s "commercial" vehicle. I had no trouble with Allstate. Also I got the same reasoning on a higher interest rate on financing which was a surprise but I was able to get them down enough to not have it be a deal breaker.

If I think of anything else I'll mention it.

@rmbinsb We wanted an SUV and purchased the Kia Sorrento and LOVE it. It has a third row that foods down, all wheel drive, leather (for easy cleaning of course) and little storage compartments.

@rmbinsb We have a Buick Enclave and a Chevy traverse.
The Buick is awesome. The Chevy not so much.
I can fit my four as two and two or if I just have the girls, they fit three across.

I wanted an 8 seater over a 7 seater because my sister has 2 kids and we often go out together (vacation and whatnot).

She has a Toyota hi lander and hates it.

It might be nice to have your twins in the back back and give your big girl her own space.

@rmbinsb It's on the expensive side, but we just got a Toyota Highlander. We didn't want a minivan either, but this has 3 rows and is very spacious. Toyotas are long-lasting vehicles and have the highest resale value also. We are really happy with it.

Back