T.V. in living room with newborn, is this bad?

@zman0101 We use the tv for music a LOT of the day and this has encouraged my son to go read and do independent play

Never feel guilt about needing some static and background. It’s not going to lead to chaos.

@zman0101 Everyone I know has the TV on, and some of my friends' kids are a little older. And they have had the TV on since day one, and their kids excel at school and other areas. As long as you try to speak to your child and do activities, there's nothing wrong.

My bosses are MDs, and all grew up in front of the screen.

@zman0101 My daughter is almost 3 months old, and occasionally, I'll bounce her on my knee while I'm watching something, but it's only for a few mins.

I watch TV almost always when she is napping on me. Though her eyes are closed, she's facing away from the screen, and I wear headphones.

My wife is adamant about no screens, but we live in a small house too. Hard to avoid and still live our lives.

@zman0101 Question:- does screentime include videocalls also? Does anyone know anything about this? We do show our baby on videocalls where she can also see others and she is obsessed over laptops (if I work infront of her). Is this good?

@zman0101 I actually asked my pediatrician about this because we have the tv on in the background a lot. He said his main concern was using the tv in place of interaction, like plopping them down so they learn to talk from a show instead of interacting with a human, which doesn’t work.

@zman0101 Do not use the TV as a replacement for you.

So use the TV as a tool when you need to get something done and they need a little more. Like cleaning or cooking or taking a shower. Try to alternate between off and on even when doing these tasks so they can learn to play independently.

Do not turn on the TV and then scroll your phone, forget about tummy time or basically use it to be able to ignore them.

@zman0101 My son is 10 months and We have the TV on (usually Ms Rachel) in the mornings. I’ll sing and dance with the songs and try to have him interact with it or if I really need to get dishes done it’s super helpful for the 15 minutes I need it.
Afternoon I try to keep the TV off or turn on a Disney playlist on YouTube for background noise while we play with his toys.

@zman0101 My son has watched whatever were watching since he’s been born. He started talking at 4 months, by all accounts Is more alert than any of the 17 other babies in the family.. I don’t think it’s a big deal. My siblings kid wasn’t allowed to
view a screen when passing through a room when he was a baby, he’s now allowed unlimited pc gaming.

@mauirayne same here. my daughter is almost two now, and she has incredible language skills. our family, her doctors, strangers at the grocery store, all are in shock when she speaks clearly in complete sentences. I always get surprised looks when people ask me how old she is and I tell them she's not even two yet.

I think it all depends on the child and what works for your family. I think all children are going to learn at their own pace in their own way, whether they have a TV on or not. obviously, if it's causing bad behaviors, cut down, but I don't think it's an inherently bad thing.

@zman0101 My daughter is 13 months and our TV is on all the time. Most of the time she doesn’t pay any attention to it and just plays. She’ll stop and pay attention if there is a song on and then carry on with her day.
Sometimes I’ll put ms Rachel on, or Sesame Street but even then she often doesn’t care.