Struggling to Make a Decision

winddancersong

Hi everyone. I’m 6 days postpartum and struggling to make a decision one way or the other with respect to breastfeeding or exclusively formula and hoping some wise words will strike a chord for me.

Some background - I had a breast reduction about ten years ago and during pregnancy was only able to collect the tiniest amounts of colostrum. My son was born on Tuesday by c-section. He had blood glucose issues that nearly sent him to the NICU, so I supplemented with donor breast milk while still getting him to latch on. It was so hard and all he did was cry and cry (he was 9 lbs, 10 ounces at birth and so so hungry, and I just didn’t have enough for him). We got home on Thursday, and we picked up some formula on the way home because I was terrified his blood sugar issues would return if I tried to EBF. For the last 4 days, we were just formula and neither of us minded it. I didn’t even bother trying to get him to latch because it felt so futile.

This morning, I woke up to some lumpier breasts and figured my milk must be coming in. I tried pumping and got almost nothing, but I was able to collect maybe 1/3 ounce with a Haakaa. I felt so proud of myself and my body. But at the same time, my kid eats between 2-4 ounces of formula per feeding, every 3 hours. I know I probably could get my supply up enough to reduce my reliance on formula, but I just can’t imagine having enough to exclusively breastfeed.

I want to do what’s best for both of us, but I can’t help but feel like a failure. Part of me feels like I should try, but another part of me wonders at what cost. And is my clock ticking in terms of getting my milk to dry up easily, if I do decide to switch to formula? I’m not in pain yet and my breasts aren’t engorged or anything, so is it better to cut my losses now and save myself some trouble down the line?

I almost wish I’d never had any milk come in at all, to save myself the trouble of having to choose. Now, though, I have at least some choice and I don’t know what to do. Any thoughts, advice, been there & done that would be welcome!

ETA: Wow, I have been completely blown away by how many of y’all took the time to read my post and respond. Thank you so very much. Obviously, I haven’t come to any decisions in the last two hours, but truly and from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate everyone sharing their stories and perspectives to help me suss out my own.

@winddancersong Switching to formula was the best thing I could have done for my mental health and my family. The guilt is real and i tried so so hard to exclusively pump, then bf that I was making myself completely insane. I cried for days because I felt so guilty, but when I saw him absolutely thriving on formula and how much better I felt, I knew then I could let go of the guilt. He’s almost 7 months old now and so chunky and completely healthy.

@winddancersong FWIW, I didn't want to breastfeed and never even tried. Not wanting to breastfeed or pump is a legitimate reason to not do either. Formula is very nutritious and a lot of the purported benefits of breast milk are overblown. My baby is thriving on formula. However, I understand the guilt is very real! There is a lot of pressure to exclusively or partially breast feed.

If you want to continue BFing or pumping but are concerned about supply, combo feeding is an option. I know a lot of people on this sub do that.

If it would help put your mind at ease, I recommend reading The Baby Formula Expert website to learn more about what goes into formula and why. @theformulamom on Instagram is also great and supportive!

@maramoo Same here! I tried once and was like nope, not for me. My mental health would seriously suffer if I continued. I’m lucky to have a very supportive family and doctor so there was not much guilt as they reassured me formula was perfectly fine and healthy for baby boy. And he’s doing so well with it that I’m happy with my decision! To me, a fed baby with a happy mama is all that matters.

@winddancersong I can't give much advice as I'm only 10 days postpartum and definitely not any kind of expert. But I will say that you're not a failure if you decide to not breastfeed. I know I definitely felt like one. My plan was to exclusively breastfeed but my girl was so, so hungry at the hospital and just cried all the time and never wanted to latch. I was stressing myself, my husband, and my daughter out for days just because I hated feeling like I was failing at being a mom. When I finally made the decision to just do formula on day 3, it was quite literally like a weight was lifted off my shoulders and I could finally let go of the stress and guilt. I quickly learned that there's no wrong way to feed your baby, whether it's with breast milk, formula, or both. The most important thing is that the baby gets fed.

Back