Starting a co-sleeping tradition - once a week

@rengb121 I do think it might make him want to come sleep in your bed on other nights and the boundaries there could quickly erode. It depends if that’s a problem for you - what if he starts to want to sleep with you every night, or in the middle of the night he wakes up and wants that? Is that a possibility you are okay with, or would rather avoid?

I like the other commenter’s idea of doing naps together or movie nights or similar, that way it’s a separation from a normal routine. Or even if you do once a week “camping” in the living room with air mattresses or something! That would be so fun for a kid, and it being in a different location than your bed at night makes it different since it’s only available once a week.

However, ultimately, it’s completely up to you and what works best for your family. If this is something you’d like to do, definitely go for it! You have the right to determine what works best for you and your child, even if other families work differently. So I think no matter what you choose, it will be okay :)

@rengb121 I co-sleep with my daughter but I do it in her room, in her bed, I am currently working on getting her to sleep independently but I think this was a much easier route than her coming to sleep with my partner and I. I'm the only variable in this setup instead of changing the whole environment. Maybe you could try a weekly "sleepover" in your child's space? It may lessen any confusion.

Edit: a typo

@rengb121 I totally know how you feel! I was adamant about not cosleeping and my daughter didn’t ever even nap with us until maybe 3 because I was certain she’d never go back to her own bed. In our experience we started letting her sleep with us at night when she was sick around 3.5 and she’s never had bed confusion, she knows it’s a special thing but most nights she has to sleep in her own bed. I say set very clear boundaries and expectations with your child and then go for it!

@sofy Same. She is Almost 20 months and last night I slept on the couch while she was already asleep in our bed. (I’m trying to get her used to me not being there before her baby sister arrives as I’ll be cluster feeding a lot in another room) it went on surprisingly well. She woke up later than usual and was just playing with a stuffed toy in bed, until she was like “done! Done!” When I went and got her out of her room. Next step is to let her know it’s fine to get out of bed even if I’m not there to pick her up. I think as they get older they can understand a lot more, and wouldn’t need to cosleep every night especially if they’re not used to it but ofc it depends on every child.

@mthomas1983 My 6.5 year old twins still sleep with me. They slept alone in their cribs for the first year and then I got tired of getting up multiple times a night when they took turns waking up (CIO wasn’t for me). We like the snuggles. No regrets. Soon enough, they’ll be teenagers who are too cool to cuddle with Mum.

@mfborn1 I guess I just don’t understand how co-sleeping is so important for a bond with your child and all of a sudden absolutely insignificant for a spousal relationship

@fayanth Different things work for peoples relationships. This is what works for our family, cosleeping is our family bond bot just parent/child or spousal. I’m not certain where you get insignificant spousal bonding from cosleeping?

@pinoytvshows Woah! Okay there.. interesting choice of words. Bad, questionable idea maybe.. wonder what words you would use for someone's idea to spank and swear at their kids.

Back