So. Freaking. Burnt. Out

@kebo Even when the working spouse does his fair share at home, it isn't enough. You're both working all day and you both need a break. I'm beginning to understand why some women want sister-wives.

Kidding aside, that's what extended families are for. Humans and even nuclear families aren't meant to be independent. My parents live nearby and I've told my husband we can't move until after we're done having kids.

@lucy If we had the choice I’d definitely get my in laws to help but they live hours away and I’m no contact with my family :/

@kebo My son is only 4 months, but he's already teething. Lately he's been biting down during mealtimes and LAUGHING when I cry out in pain. Little sadists.

@lucy Unsolicited advice - Pinch his nose shut so he has to open his mouth to breathe. They hated unlatching in the middle of a meal, so it only took 2 or 3 times for my kids to stop biting while nursing.

@lucy When mine did this I pulled her off right away and set her down in front of me and she cried for a good 15 seconds and I put her back on. No more bites until she self weaned at 1 year, that was very ow.

@lucy Yeah mine did that and I ripped him off me and told husband that he was getting bottle fed from now on! My boobs were so angry the milk just stopped

@cornerstoneeg Different people have different energy levels. I've come to accept that I'm just a low-energy person. It's how I was born, and being born a certain way doesn't make me 'less than'. Life isn't a competition, it's about making the most of the cards you're dealt. Not everyone is meant to be hyper-productive.

Some SAHM's always have a spotless house and a home cooked meal every night, all while doing fabulous DIY projects and blogging about it every other day. Not to mention the working parents who manage to do all that on top of a full-time job. That will never be me. I remember watching one Q&A video from The Daily Connoisseur where someone asked how she gets everything done with 4 kids. Her answer? She works when everyone else is sleeping. She's the last person to go to bed and the first to wake up. I need that sleep!

Give yourself a break. Don't compare yourself to other people, including your husband. Order pizza. Let the housework slide. Put Little Man in a safe place and do some things you want to do while he plays independently.

Sometimes we're tired because we do too much. But sometimes you can get tired because you're not doing enough of what you love. I try to make a little time for my hobbies each day, even if it's only 5 minutes. I feel better knowing I'm making progress in my projects, even if it's really slow. Make that the priority over cleaning the fridge or whatever.

@lucy I'm also generally low energy. I cherish nap time and not just because I'm pregnant.

It's so hard not to compare. Especially when my MIL was the SAHM with a spotless house and warm meals and all that. But that's where I have to remind myself that she her other kids were teenagers when my husband was born and her mother living near by who would come clean the house.

@cornerstoneeg There's always going to be someone more skilled, even at the thing you do best. There's too many people in the world for that not to be true. Instead of comparing yourself to them, compare yourself to the person you were last month, or last year. Be proud of what you've already done.

@cornerstoneeg I always question what the previous generation says, personally. My mom acts like she had it all together, but I doubt that's true. I think they have just forgotten how hard it was when they were in this position.

@sweetmercies I'm the same. It's just hard to not compare when your MIL is seemingly the "perfect" mom. Don't get me wrong, I see through her facade, but still. She stayed home with my husband and excelled.

@cornerstoneeg Be easy on yourself. I'm doing the SAHM thing while in college full time and zero pregnancy. You are making a human while entertaining a whole other human too. There is a lot of mental gymnastics that has to happen for your house to run smoothly. Your husband probably also gets to talk to a lot more adults than you do, and interaction is a huge part of easing the mental load. I dont have much in terms of advice just know I feel you!

@isaac4107 He gets to talk to so many more adults, yeah. And even better, he often doesn't have to talk to anyone and gets to work on stuff alone. I can't even go pee alone. I find myself jealous if his commute just because he gets to be alone for 15 minutes. Haha!

@cornerstoneeg I hear you on the jealousy of being alone. I miss working independently so bad, and every moment away from the kids feels like it's made of gold (which I also feel guilty about- why should I feel so happy to leave my kids??). I have always hated the dentist, but now I look forward to appointments because I can't bring the children. I get to go alone and just sit there. I even get to talk to other adults a little bit.

@cornerstoneeg Same girl. My life feels like the movie Groundhog Day but without Bill Murray -lol.
It’s the same thing pretty much every day - the monotonous things like getting meals ready, cleaning up, laundry....
we too live a couple of hours away from family - so that’s not an option for us either- I wish it was- my parents are retired and would love to watch our boys- so that makes me sad.
And yea COVID - I mean I’m sure going grocery shopping with them would be a nightmare- 3 year old and 15 MO- but I miss going to the stores. I mean sometimes we’d just go to target to have something to do! I get to go do the drive up pick up orders- hey it’s Atleast a half hour in the car alone! But still not the same.
I feel like I’m rambling- but just wanted to let you know you’re not alone ❤️

@nicholas1993 Oh, I miss Target and the play area at the mall and story time at the library. We would also go random places just to have something to do. We have a great locally owned bookstore that is huge and has toys and a place for moms to sit down. I miss our pre-covid routines.

Back