So bad it’s good?

cedward1

I think I have a name picked out for my baby. She’s due in four months, so I still have time if this name sucks. I was thinking about Betty Jean. I said it jokingly at first (baby, Kevin… Baby Betty ha ha ha), but the more I think about a baby named Betty, the more it seems like an actual option. Like if I met a baby named Betty, I would laugh and then be like, yes. In the new world of babies being named story, ocean and techno, I think it would be endearing AF to meet a baby named Betty. What do you guys think? Jean is my MILs middle name, so that’s where Jean came from. I’m avoiding using Betty as a nickname because I don’t really like the names that this would be a nickname of and I’m not a big fan of nicknames because I find them sort of confusing.

@cedward1 It's endearing AF. I vote yes to baby Betty.

I can see why some people would want a lengthened name. However, when you think about it, how is it any less formal than Cassidy, Jesse, Annie, or Aubrey? Is it because it originated as a nickname? That's probably it. I just answered my own rhetorical question. Though if we want to get technical, now formal names Heidi, Ginger, Jackson, Liam, and Megan all started as nicknames.

If you wanted something longer, I'm sure we could come up with a name you like, but if you don't want it as a nickname then I say go for it.

@gifted40 I agree. When I suggested that my other daughter may be named Stevie, a lot of people suggested Stephanie and Stevie as a nickname, but I went with Stevie (I was born in the 80’s and it’s just too soon for more Stephanies). My daughter loved her name so far, so I’m thankful for that.

@cedward1 I think it’s a great name! I think it’s long overdue for a come back, and it would serve her all through her life. It would be very cute on a baby, smart and sassy on a preteen, bold and edgy for a teenager and a really solid name as an adult. Go for it!

@cedward1 Honestly I think Betty is such a cute name! I think it sounds very cute, spunky and retro in the best way! If it’s good enough for Blake lively and Ryan Reynolds then it is good enough for me 🥰

@anonymosib It totally is. My other daughter Stevie Mae is a lot too. We live on a farm in the south and I love (almost ironically) names that sound extra over the top country southern for some reason. Also, no one really knows (or cares) what peoples middle names are, except the parents, and I love yelling sort of outdated 2-part country names at them when they are in trouble 🤷‍♀️

I am also considering Betty Zale, but I really wanted to name her after my Mother in Law (her name is Mary Jean and I couldn’t quite bring myself to do that), but Jean as a middle names seems a lot more doable.

Back