Sleep Sacks: Can someone explain TOGs to me please?

kw_pt1287

My tall almost-5-month-old has just about outgrown her summer-weight cotton-muslin sleep sack, so we’re ready to upgrade on both size and warmth, but I’m confused on just how warm to go.

All the shops seem to be stocked up on and pushing 2.5 TOG and when I read the temperature charts, it says 2.5 TOG is for indoor temps of 15°-21°. Yes, I live in Canada and it gets cold in the winter… but, like, we have central heating. We keep the thermostat set to 21-22° year round, day and night. So shouldn’t 1.0 TOG (for 18-24°) be just right? And you’d only need to go up to 2.5 if you live in a house without modern heating? Am I wrong?

On a related note, I’m eyeing either the Gunamuna 1.0 TOG Sleep Duvet or the Pehr 1.7 TOG Sleeping Bag if anyone cares to share their review! I like that they have 3-9 month sizing.

@kw_pt1287 Yes it's based on temperature not just the season. A lot of people live in older homes that are poorly insulated and more expensive to heat in the winter or which heat unevenly. It's important to know the temperature in the baby's room specifically so you can dress them appropriately.

@kw_pt1287 Agree with OPs questions and I’m hoping it’s ok to throw in an extra question- baby and I cosleep. How much does that impact his temp? Should we err on a lighter sleep sack?

@glory19 Lighter sleep sack for sure in my opinion. We live in a really old drafty house and we do a 1.0 and a muslin swaddle through the night when she's in her bassinet but when we occasionally co sleep I take the muslin swaddle off or she gets too hot.

@godsjules We do thin bamboo footies and a 1.0 bamboo sleep sack. It’s about 70 F in his room. Does that sound about right? He’s never felt very warm or cool to the touch in the mornings when I check so im never quite sure if it’s right

@glory19 If he feels alright inside his clothes, not just his face, then you're good to go!

I find my kids prefer to be nice and toasty inside their bundles - they have disrupted sleep if they get too cold, and if they're hot - I can definitely tell to the touch by just reaching down under their chins to feel their upper chest.

@glory19 I find it easy to check baby’s temp when cosleeping. When ever I wake up I feel the back of his neck. I personally use a sleep sack and then at a knitted blanket that has large holes as needed.

@glory19 I have been trying to figure this out too. How does your co sleeping look? I keep her totally clear of blankets and just wear it covering myself. This is why I feel like I should let her wear her sleep sack as normal? I know I’m close to her so idk if my body warmth is enough. I’m the same as you where she doesn’t seem too warm.

Edited for clarity

@ironfeather He kind of chooses the setup through the night. Sometimes he rolls away after feeding and sometimes he stays snuggled close. I guess he must be regulating his own temp 🤷‍♀️

@kw_pt1287 I live in Alaska and I have found that 1.0 tog works well for that temp. If it’s extra chilly out and I’m worried she might be colder, I just put warmer jammies on.

@kw_pt1287 We are also in Canada and most of the time she sleeps in a 1.0 TOG cotton sleep sack. We turn the heat down to 16-17 at night and she's fine with that and long sleeve PJs. When it gets down to -40 and my husband and I feel the chill, we put her in a 2.5 TOG, but that's only for a couple weeks per winter. I honestly wish there were more 1.5 TOG options because I feel like that would be a perfect middle ground for winter.

@kw_pt1287 Yes go off room temp, if you know your house stays at that temp then go with the 1 tog. My house has no central heating and doesn’t hold the warmth in, even with a heater on. so I need the 3.5 tog during winter.

@kw_pt1287 Depends on specific room temp. We, for example, have 4 degrees difference between rooms on a single floor. The coldest is the baby room. The baby also likes to be very warm, far from what is usually recommended. So I got TOG 2.5 for her. I'd say it's really warm, and probably most babies don't need it that warm.

Back