Sick of everyone trying to buy baby shoes

marystokesq

Yes LO is walking but it's not even summer. He's not going outside where shoes are necessary yet and we plan on taking him to stride right to get him properly fitted. But everyone wants to buy him shoes. When I say he's not wearing shoes indoors people feel personally attacked. HoW WiLl HiS FeEt DeVeLoP pRoPeRlY iF hE nEvEr WeArS ShOeS!? Thats the point of a lot of pediatrician articles. Don't wear shoes indoors so their feet can develop unrestricted. Only get shoes for when they're outdoors. And even then you can't just go to shoe monster and order a size 5. Seriously, every pair of shoes he's gotten doesn't fit. They're too narrow or skinny. His feet aren't even THAT FAT. UGH

@marystokesq Bruh. There’s nothing more unnecessary than buying a bunch of shoes for a little one. Guess what? They’ll maybe wear them for a month and then they’re too small. What we need is one of those “little free libraries” for kids’ shoes. Take a pair — leave a pair. Going to a wedding? Check the little free shoe store for “patent leather” dress shoes and leave those crocs someone gave you that were too small.

@marystokesq I had people telling me my son would never want to wear shoes because I didn’t put shoes on him for the whole first year… because he wasn’t walking?? And I only put shoes on him now when we go outside (and have since he started walking) and somehow he keeps his shoes on??? It’s honestly crazy what people come up with.

@marystokesq I find the best thing to do with people like this is to do the "well ACTUALLY, it's NOT recommended for them to wear shoes inside, it's BETTER for foot development. I can send you some articles if you'd like." I find that shuts it down REAL quick.

Also as a Canadian, I find the whole shoes inside concept extremely strange. Do you need to clean your floors way more often wearing shoes inside? What if you have carpet? Doesn't it get dirty? Or do you have indoor and outdoor shoes at home? I'm so confused. (Though this would help explain why the cleaning regimes I've found, like Clean mama, have mopping WEEKLY, which seems insane to me.) When people come over, do they just leave their shoes on? What about when it's wet or snowy? I"M SO CONFUSED

@marystokesq I was just about say ummm, any ped will tell you NOT to put shoes on kids for no reason because it can restrict their growth. “Walking shoes” have long been proven a myth and very unnecessary! And honestly, unless he’s actively walking with you somewhere or going to the park, let him play outside barefoot! Kids hate shoes anyways and will fight you to the death about them lol. My SIL tried to order my son “baby shoes” that are meant for like 6 month olds and i was like wtf am i gonna do with these!??🤣

@marystokesq Omg I thought this was just my family! I don’t get it either! If feet only develop correctly with shoes then there is something wrong with our anatomy. What did people do without shoes? They just never walked?

@marystokesq I literally banned people from buying my son shoes. My MIL in particular kept sending me photos of shoes from supermarkets or high street fashion stores asking what size my son was. The problem was my son had really wide feet as a baby and these type of shoes never fit. So I told people they were welcome to take him to a proper shoe shop and get his feet fitted or buy me a voucher for a shoe shop and I’d go when he next needed some. Worked quite well in the end but it was annoying to have to keep saying no at the beginning.

@marystokesq If people are going to insist on buying shoes, how about trying to steer them towards something more decorative that would just be for cute photos only? We had a pair of (useless) tiny wee Converses that LO wore for a family photo and gosh they were adorable. But expensive considering they were useless and barely worn, so if people are going to buy you shoes ANYWAY…

Or to put them off, try saying “oh he wears a weird size that can only be ordered from speciality baby shoe stores” and that might put off most casual baby shoe shoppers.

Back