Sibling gender (biological sex at birth)?

@servantheart We don't really know, but it's probably natural selection. Boy foetuses are more likely to be miscarried. Boys have a slightly higher chance of stillbirth and SIDS, and other causes of death before reproductive age (which is all natural selection cares about).

@elam84 Anecdotally, I only know one mom with enough children to really create a pattern. She has 10, 7 girls, 3 boys. #1 was boy, #2,3,4 were girls, #5 was boy, #6,7,8 were girls, #9 was boy, #10 was girl. Also mildly interesting, 2 and 3 are twins.

@kevin_01 Can you imagine spending that much of your life pregnant? I'm a mom of one kid. I hated pregnancy sooooooooooooooo much. I can't imagine being pregnant for 9+ years of my existence. Power to those that can, want to, and willingly build a large family. I don't have the guts -literally- to do it.

@al106 My great-great grandmother had 18 live births - only 11 survived to adulthood. My grandfather was the second to last. She started having kids at 18. She had her last at like 45. My great grandfather had nieces and nephews who were years older than him. There were no multiples. I just can't imagine spending that much of my life pregnant, but fortunately I got a nice late start at 32 so I physically can't, but even the thought of being pregnant a second time is not very appealing.

Back