Seeking advice from people who “moved home” to be close to family

gypsysoule

My partner and I moved away from our families in the Southeast to live in sunny SoCal 6 years ago. We now have a 13 month old baby. Our families don’t visit as often as we’d like. Even before we had the baby my mom and brother only came 1 time in 5 years. The last few years have progressively gotten harder for us to travel to see them. C*vid, getting extended time off work, $$$, and now flying with a baby is just…difficult. We see our families 2-4 times every year with 1 or 2 of those visits being us going back “home” to them.

Previously I knew in my heart moving to SoCal was right for us. We have both always wanted to live here and have created a beautiful life. We have a nice house in a neighborhood we love. My partner has a great job that allows me to be a SAHM. We are living our dreams here. However, we don’t have many friends in SoCal. My partner was depressed all summer, and we feel isolated.

Now that I have a baby I find myself wondering if living here is selfish of us. I want my baby to grow up having close relationships with her uncles, grandparents, our “village.” I just want to give her the best life and idk what to do.

Tell me about your life. Do you regret moving away from home? Do you resent living close to family after previously moving away?

@patticakez I live 20 minutes from my parents and they have provided zero tangible help. Well, maybe like two meals when he was a newborn. And my mom always goes on and on about how much she loves babies and little kids. Sure Jan.

That being said, I still have an amazing village of friends and found family, so it can be done! It does take a lot of conscious effort, but it's possible!

@spiritofdiscernment This sounds like my mom. All she talked about after I gave birth was she couldn’t wait to come and help us. 3 weeks postpartum she came, ate all my food, didn’t cook a single meal, no laundry, no dishes. It was so disappointing.

@gypsysoule I have a similar situation: moved west from the east coast, although my family is scattered across a few states and not just in one. When my first was born, I was growing resentful at the distance. It was hard. It was lonely. It's been 16 months, and I'm glad we've stayed. Our daily life here is our dream life and enriched because of it.

Making friends made the biggest difference, easier said than done. I joined Peanut. It's an app to help find other local moms in your area. My husband is a STAHP and opened himself up for opportunities at baby storytime at the library. It's not much, but between the two of us, we have 4 families we've befriended and that's made all of the difference. I have two people I can text and make plans with. We have people to do play dates with on the weekend. Getting out of the house has helped us remember why we moved here in the first place.

Of course, I miss and love my family. But they visit. We visit. And for now, that's enough because we love our life here.

@gypsysoule My kids are 6 and 2. We didn't have family support for the first child, and my mom moved near us for the second. My experience is that the first two years are difficult and isolating, even with support (though support does relieve some day-to-day burdens). I just wanted to share that we were able to start building a "village" with new friends and community around the time my oldest was 3-4. It's a great age to start meeting other people with kids you age and start doing activities together. If you decide to stay in CA with the life you've built, you may find new ways to meet friends as your child gets older

@gypsysoule Moved back and it's been amazing (I also get on stunningly well with my family). My daughter has an incredibly close relationship with her Grand parents and Aunt and Uncle. There's a lot of "economy of scale" type things (like if I need a pickup I can borrow my brother's and he's constantly borrowing our more intense cooking supplies). There's also just so much larger of a safety net. Like I'm a SAHM and my Mom actually watched my toddler for me yesterday when I sick and I know I'll be helping her out in the spring when Dad has knee surgery. I'm really excited my brother is looking at starting a family soon as well since we'll be able to have all the cousins grow up together and I imagine we'll be trading off date night baby sitting a lot.