School board just voted in favor of 4 day school week for next year

@martin777 This is going to disproportionately hurt poor people. Maybe school isn’t a daycare but it is a place where some kids get their only meal of the day. It is a place where they can be where they don’t have to struggle with poverty.

Additionally school is the only safe haven for kids that have abusive households.

I don’t think this was thought through very well.

@nehsewokayydocyelad We live next to a reservation too and many of those students especially rely on school for their meals. When COVID shut down the schools they passed out meals daily, breakfast and lunch, for families who relied on it. This breaks my heart.

@nehsewokayydocyelad Oh I think it was probably very well thought through. It sends a clear message to women that they should be in the home and not working. And it sends a clear message to everyone that society has no obligation to care about people in poverty.

@martin777 What the actual fuck? If the sports are getting in the way of academics the solution is to change sports not the academics!

My high school started at 7:30am and athletes had last period PE specifically so sports kids could get enough time to practice and get to games.

Despite, ya know, teens having a naturally later circadian rhythm. Meaning all of us were in school before we were really awake yet were expected to learn.

@luisbuesa To be honest I’ve thought that sports and school should be separated for a long while. Maybe sports could still be publicly funded, but perhaps done more like parks & recc systems. Of course this will never happen in this country but it’s the norm in other places. I could say a lot more on why I feel this way but am too cognitively lazy at the moment.

@katrina2017 US school sports is nuts. In Italy where I live the sports are separate from school and it works well to be honest, but you have to find a school that does a ,5 day full day week because way too many still do the old 8-2pm Monday through Saturday thing and you're uncovered for childcare in the afternoon

@hariel Yeah i live in Germany and we had to find a full-day school for my kids because here public school is generally like 8-12:45(!) or so and moms are expected to shepherd their kids around in the afternoons to sports and activities, and then do tons of homework in the evenings to make up for the short school day.

Just feels like wherever we are (we will return to the US in a year hopefully) the system functions to be sure things are as difficult as possible for moms who might want to work. Moms here (at least in the area I'm living) basically only work mornings. Medical receptionist, cafe server, that kind of thing.

@francus I'm in europe, but not germany (but very similar culturally) and here school is also only until 1pm. However, all schools offer free afternoon care that goes on until 3 or 4 pm. Kids are heavily encouraged to do homework there, or they can do art, read, or play. This is great, because afternoons are then free of homework. Is there nothing like that in germany??

@keb1990 Unfortunately that's not so popular here (I'm outside Hannover - could be different in Munich or the big cities). There's a couple hours of after school care for elementary school kids offered at the Kita, but only a few children can do it as there isn't much capacity.

Honestly, I feel like women who work demanding (or even just full time jobs) after having children are looked upon with suspicion. Plus lunchtime is the main meal of the day which puts even more pressure on moms to be home cooking for their kids.

@francus I actually messaged my friend in Berlin, and it's the standard there for kids who aren't old enough to be home alone and don't have grandparents near. So weird your area doesn't do that!

@francus I completely believe you, but just find it weird this isn't standardised across all public schools. Because in my country all public schools have to offer basically the same things.

@keb1990 German school systems are run by each federal state separately (like in the US the states run their schools differently) and local schools also have plenty of leeway on what kind of afterschool care they offer. I don't know what country you're in but it sounds like it's quite different here.

@francus Am in Austria, and here you have to find a "Hort" (afterschool care) and pay for it yourself, unless you can find one of the very very few Ganztagsschule spots (pretty much nonexistent outside Vienna).

We got super lucky, there's a Hort at the end of our street in the tiny dorf we moved to, but still, if I worked a regular 9-5 outside the house instead of at home, it would be very hard.

@magic123 That sounds like our situation in Germany. Even with the Hort it is hard here bc pickup is by 5 so the parent has to leave work sometime before then. We are in a Ganztagsschule (a quasi-private English/German school) which goes until 3:30 and after that the choices are a school run activity until 4:30 or the Hort until 5. You lucked out with a Hort at the end of the street in your Dorf! I'm jealous.

@luisbuesa I would guess it’s not the school-sponsored sports that are getting in the way. In the district where I teach, multiple students miss on Fridays for private sports club tournaments that are out of town or out of state. It is a revolving door throughout the seasons of different sports kids missing on Fridays.