Running w/ a stroller

garvinhi

For my runners, when did you start running with a jogging stroller and are there any that are rated for 6 weeks??? Also any tips to make it “easier”?

Two things: 1) I start training for my half marathon in January and for my shorter runs on warmer days I plan on trying to do runs with the stroller so I can do them with my husband and pup!

2) I saw one of my favorite running influencers go on a run with her 6wo and I was kinda surprised. I thought you’d want to wait for head control to be better.

@jonah2011 I hadn’t even considered talking to my pediatrician about it until like 6months so no worries. Now I just am wondering if I should say something to this lady

@garvinhi Even without the stroller, most women should not be running at 6 weeks. Most pelvic floor physical therapists recommend more like 12-18 weeks.

Please be aware the 6 week "all clear" to exercise that doctors give is only about immediate medical risks (like haemorrhaging) and has nothing to do with what your body is ready for in terms of your long term musculoskeletal health. Running too early can train your pelvic floor into a cycle of failure (ie incontinence) that can take a long, long time to repair.

@garvinhi Yeah my son only got out of the bassinet at 4.5 months. His head control is still not good enough for me to go jogging with him. Be wary of influencers 😂

I started running again because I begin my marathon training in the new year, and I am just doing my runs solo for now.

@garvinhi We have a Bob stroller, and I was told to wait until around 6 months to jog with it. Somewhere else I saw between 4 and 6 months. I’m back to running, but I want to make sure it’s safe before I try jogging with my baby. He’s not quite 4 months yet. I’m going to ask at our next pediatrician appointment.

Back