Rant: tired momma of an 8month old

ruthracheal

Jesus Christ ! I’m tired 😭😭 I feel so defeated . Ready to throw in the towel with my breast feeding journey. My son is not sleeping through the night waking every 2hours if NOT HOURLY! I’m E X H A U S T E D. I dread hearing him cry when he wakes. It’s just me and him so it’s not like I can hand him over so I can get some sleep. He’s not a fussy baby overall super happy active during the day. It’s just night time has been kicking me in the ass these past 2 weeks. Not to mention my lower back is killing me.

Then there’s guilt for feeling and thinking like this. I’m just so freaking done. I feel guilty wanting to stop breastfeeding because the goal was 1yr!! (Almost there) he’s basically 9 months 🥲 I know fed is best but I’ve done research and new research came out the formula is basically pointless after 6 months. I just don’t know what to do anymore I want and need better sleep. I don’t even know if this is a sleep regression! First time mom here, just surviving. That coffee in the morning is everything 🥹

@ruthracheal Breastfeeding is so hard! Around that time my partner was deployed so it was just me and I feel this! I wanted to quit breastfeeding nightly but what also kept me going was not wanting to get up often to make a bottle instead I can just lay on my side and pop a boob out! If it’s something you can handle it’s worth it! I’m still breastfeeding at 22 months and now I’m ready to stop but my son is not lol! I know how you feel the sleep deprivation is real! Just keep your days easy and when and if you can nap !

@thescoot I'm not personally aware of any reason that it would. However, milk supply drops in the evening for most women. So I would nurse my baby and then follow with a bottle before bedtime (she would drink until she was full then pass out) and that made a world of difference for us.

@thescoot There is a theory that formula is heavier/ bulkier than breast milk which keeps babies fuller for longer, hence why a lot of combo feeders often give it before bed, but a downside is when baby should be still feeding during the night they won’t always wake up due to a lack of hunger cues. This is only an issue whilst you are trying to get them back to birthweight or if they aren’t gaining weight at the correct rate, and all it means is that you have to set alarms to wake them for feeding during this time if they don’t wake up themselves :)

@ruthracheal It does get better. Maybe not easier. And not immediately. Try to take some time for yourself (I know it’s not easy to find time). I personally find I feel more human after going out and doing something alone, vs sleeping. You got this!

@ruthracheal Ok so - idk if you want this advice BUT - formula isn’t nearly the poison that it’s reputation seems to be these days.

I struggled soooo much with supply. I finally gave up after 4 mo. Zero regrets.

I used a formula called ByHeart with my second - and it was the best tasting and seemed the best of all the types I tried with baby 1 and initially with baby 2.

It’s 💯 ok to use formula and NOT a parental failing on your part. But if you are breastfeeding or die - I 💯 support you in that journey as well.

Best of luck!

Back