Pro-Birth v Pro-Life

@aiden92 Funny thing is Alito makes reference to ā€œsingleā€ mothers in his diatribe by insinuating theyā€™re the only ones getting abortions.

ā€œAmericans who believe that abortion should be restricted press countervailing arguments about modern developments. They note that attitudes about the pregnancy of unmarried women have changed drastically; that federal and state laws ban discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, & that leave for pregnancy and childbirth are now guaranteed by law in many cases, that the costs of medical care associated with pregnancy are covered by insurance or government assistance; that States have increasingly adopted "safe haven" laws, which generally allow women to drop off babies anonymously; and that a woman who puts her newborn up for adoption today has little reason to fear that the baby will not find a suitable home. They also claim that many people now have a new appreciation of fetal life and that when prospective parents who want to have a child view a sonogram, they typically have no doubt that what they see is their daughter or son.ā€

@joeysoley Imagine you had other kids already to support? I'm a physician and I had a patient who had two special needs children at home, she had bipolar disorder, diabetes, preeclampsia at her last pregnancy and had to be on bed rest for the last month or two and she found out she was pregnant again, birth control failed, and she had recently gotten her special needs children back from DCF custody, recently become stable on her medications for bipolar disorder, medications which causes severe birth defects. She chose abortion because otherwise she'd have to put her life at risk to go through a pregnancy with her diabetes and blood pressure,, make a choice to come off the bipolar medications or risk the severe birth defects, and risk orphaning her special needs kids she already has. These are deeply heartbreaking and personal decisions and no one's business besides a woman and her doctor.

@ryandog Not mentioning that the lives of pregnant people are obviously not considered at all. I had an ectopic earlier this year and would be dead under those laws without even a viable fetus present to be saved. I wanted this baby so bad but it never had a chance to become a human being. On the other hand I would not have had this pregnancy at all because my husband's mother would have died of ectopic before having him too and probably my own mother also because a baby died in her womb before having me. In my workplace alone I know three women who had complications in their planned pregnancies that would have killed them (and the baby) by not being able to terminate the pregnancy. It's just scary. So many lifes that would have ended due to strict abortion laws. In many cases those women (including me) would have left behind kids and kids that followed after those incidents would never have born... How the hell can anyone think there's something pro-life about those laws.

@ashlyn111 That reminds me a lot of this story

Personal And Painful:' Abortion Access Has Emotional Impact For Michigan Sen. Gary Peters

His wifeā€™s water broke at 4 months and the doctors told her to go home and naturally miscarry. Three days later she was almost septic and at risk to lose her uterus without an abortion bc the miscarriage didnā€™t happen. The doctor appealed the board for an exception to save her life and was denied. They had to go to a different hospital to save her and only got in OR in time bc they were friends with the chief admin.

@ryandog This must be so devastating. Not being able to keep a pregnancy you wished for is cruel in itself and I had a hard time even with accurate care but having to deal with the emotional pain of losing a (potential) baby and facing the risk of death is a whole other level of fucked up.

@ryandog These are the same people who always vote against a slight increase in their taxes that will go directly towards benefitting their local school district. Every year voted down in my area because we live in a retirement town and no old farts want to a quarter percent increase on their taxes. I guess they want to spend that money at Denny's and won't have enough money for their 5% tip? Not sure.

@jesuain Also pro forced birth is more accurate than pro birth. I am definitely pro-birth, I think everyone should have the care and support they need in that difficult time. But forced birth is a disgusting violation of that person's rights.

I wondered if becoming a mom would make me question my views on abortion. You know, seeing my precious baby on the ultrasound, the miracle of life and all that. But the entire experience only made me more certain. I actually had an easy pregnancy and a very positive birth story. I don't even mind my new body shape, because I accept it as part of a journey that I chose for myself. But the way it permanently changed my body, the danger of serious injury or even death, the way my body didn't really belong to me for almost a year, it was all eye opening.

Forcing someone to go through all that, who didn't give their informed consent, is horrific to me.

@ryandog Exactly. So many of the politicians who say theyā€™re pro-life have actively campaigned against everything that would actually make them pro life. Itā€™s despicable.

@ryandog Just to be clear though, she's not advocating for abortion here either as a superior alternative, just criticizing the hypocrisy of some of the pro-life crowd.

@ryandog I should send this to David Martin Davies of NPR the source. I called in and made a similar point about how pro lifers are really pro birth because they donā€™t care anything after the child is born. I think he missed the point bc when I hung up he said well heā€™s pro birth, everyone should have a good birth ..