Prepare me for the family battle...!

@becker0109 I'm the opposite with the Mios. I can't stand them. The only reason I still have any is because my parents (the childminders) find velcro easier than poppers. Part of why I dislike them so much is because the insert is so wide and stiff. After hearing that I could do this, last night I took my stitch ripper to one and removed the insert completely. I'll try that one as a pocket and see how it goes. If it works well that way I'll convert them all to pockets.

@flda_grl I will admit the insert can be a bit annoying!

I am a massive pocket fan, my favourite being baba&boo! The mios are mostly for hubby but also handy as the final nappy before the night nappy comes out haha!

I’m interested to see how the shell works as a pocket, you’ll have to keep me updated!

@beverend "It's my baby and you don't get a say in how I raise them."

Conversation over. If they want to argue just tell them you will leave until they stop badgering you. Set boundaries and keep them.

@beverend I honestly didn't tell most people...it never came up since I don't really like baby showers and chose not to have one. My mom thought I was crazy, and I just shrugged her off. We're still exclusively cloth diapering my daughter 18 months in, so jokes on her I guess. If people aren't supportive then don't worry about convincing them. It's your kid and your choice, so their opinion isn't relevant anyway. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@beverend My mom insisted I would "get tired of it." She underestimated how "tired" I would get of seeing enormous plastic waste! Honestly, I just ignored her little digs, and would send pics of baby in cloth and she would remark on how cute the baby looked. She had 5 siblings and vividly remembers her own mother miserably boiling diapers for all those babies, so the ease of disposables had been a revelation to her when she had me and I can see why she is flabbergasted that I would want to go back to the olden days. They just don't realize what cloth diapers are like nowadays.

@ellen45 My cousin and my aunt laughed and said I wouldn't last when I first made the switch. At the time my second was 3 months and even though my older one was still in nappies, I wasn't brave enough to switch the 2 of them. Now I like to send that cousin pictures of both kids in cloth nappies because she gets jealous of all the cute prints.

@beverend My in laws were really skeptical about us keeping up with it properly because they all had those idealistic first time parent notions go out the window quickly. The thing that helped us convince them that we were going to stick with it was the regular updates about how much money we saved. We spent $100 on Alva pockets and $20 on some fabric for wipes are currently up to $7500-ish not spent on plastic diaps and throw away wipes. My sister in law actually recommended cloth diapers to someone she knows because she's seen how great they've been for us.

ETA:we do cloth wipes too. I'm allergic to everything

@ellen45 I recently looked into pull-ups. I reluctantly spent $100 on 4 pull-ups for my toddler overnight. To use 1 disposable every night from 2 years old to 5 years old would cost about $600. I have two kids so that's even more $$.

According to a Global New article (2018) the average child will use 2700 diapers a year. With diapers costing 0.20-0.40$ each you're looking at $500 - $1100 per year.

Potty train at 2.5, 2 kids that's about $2500 - $5500, (add the cost of pull-ups and wipes!) versus my $5-600 stash.

@ellen45 My kiddo and I both have incredibly sensitive skin so the only disposable diapers that worked for us are the Honest Company ones and those are about $.30 each here. And I had to do cloth wipes because of my sensitive skin, kiddo was fine with regular ones but they're so harsh on me. I figured the wipes based on my friend going through a box a month, down from 1 1/2 boxes before and we'd probably have to use the Honest Company ones of those too. It's hard to find hypoallergenic stuff out here in the middle of nowhere

@thoracic I just got a massive stack of washcloths, cut them in quarters and serged the raw edges. Cheap af to make 100 of them, still going strong 2 years later.

@beverend Sometimes I think people react negatively to others decision to cloth diaper because they feel judged.

Some alternate caregivers might not be willing to change a cloth diaper, or will insist on disposables (and personally, if they want to buy them and use them in their own house, fine).

People have said to me that LO is crying/fussy because they are too hot and/or uncomfortable. Personally, I think that could be true.. but could also be any one of a million other things.

People don't usually take very well to being schooled on the wonders of cloth diapers and why they are a better option than disposables, so I think its important to be a positive advocate without being too judge-y.

Did you know that the disposable diaper box actually says that you are to dump the poo in the toilet before disposing? Fun fact.

Back