EFF in a “Baby-Friendly Hospital” - how to prepare?

@herooftheday I gave birth in March in a baby-friendly hospital and we were EFF from the start, and can help answer #3! Skin to skin was super important to me, and all we had to do was remind the OB that was our goal. Baby landed on my chest immediately and we snuggled for about an hour while I was stitched up, they took some quick vitals from baby and then right back to my chest she went. Once we got settled into our room following delivery, she stayed with me skin to skin. Baby was born at 4pm, and the nurses brought in some ready to feed formula and walked us through her first feeding at 7pm.

Even if you need to bring your own bottles/formula, I’d imagine the nurses will help remind you when it’s time for baby’s first meal!

@herooftheday I had a planned c-section at a Baby Friendly hospital and this was my experience:
  1. We brought our own formula just in case, but never had to use it. They were great about bringing us more when we needed and even gave us some to take home.
  2. I just told them when I checked in that I was EFF and that was that. I did mention I needed medications, and they didn't pressure me. When I did get asked, I was cheerfully firm and they didn't push.
  3. I didn't do skin-to-skin. My boyfriend held her and gave her a bottle in the room where they took me to wait for the spinal to wear off. They gave him the bottle to do so and helped me sit up when I wanted to.
  4. There was no well baby nursery at our hospital, so we did it all. I've heard the nurses will sometimes take the baby if you need a break, but I felt weird about asking, so I'm not sure.

@herooftheday
  1. You don’t need to do that as long as they’ll provide formula. I checked ahead of time with me OB. The nurses at the hospital made sure we had RTF bottles and nipples stocked in our room at all times!
  2. I discussed with my OB ahead of time when we planned my induction that I was planning to EFF. She put a note in my chart indicating this on top of the birth plan I had written down. The nurses at the hospital confirmed and I never got education on BF!
  3. We did delayed cord clamping and they put little guy on my chest right away. After he got examined they gave me a bottle to feed him within the first hour.
  4. We roomed in by choice but I was offered to use the nursery. Babe wound up going to the NICU for a night after being taken to the nursery for his 24 hour assessment where his oxygen levels were a bit low. Hubs and I got like 6 hours of sleep so if you’re able to take advantage I would (we felt guilty since they had taken him to NICU but it was just for obs). In hindsight I would’ve let them take him for maybe a couple hours after labor as I was totally exhausted. I hadn’t slept well the night before and gave birth around 130A so had been up for awhile. Though that being said I was not super stoked about being away from baby but a few hours would’ve been nice that first night!

@herooftheday I exclusively formula fed from day 1. When I got to the hospital they asked which I was choosing and I told them. The minute the baby popped out there was no question they gave me ready to feed formula bottle and told me how to use it and how much baby would need. Absolutely no pressure no embarrassment etc. i also told my doctor both times I gave birth that I’m formula feeding not breast feeding, leading up to birth and it was never questioned at all. As for skin on skin totally doable. They still offer you if you want to do skin on skin right after birth and Even my husband did it. Also they have a nursery per se more like a nurses station and I told them I was so exhausted and they kept baby and fed baby for 6 hours at night so I could get sleep (with both children) It was glorious and I felt so refreshed. Also the nurses told me they loved taking care of baby because most people keep their baby in their room with them the whole stay. Either way I’m not the type to be guilt tripped and I never ever felt that way one bit.

@herooftheday Bring your own ready to feed bottles. I still did skin to skin right after birth, just didn't give him a boob. Be prepared for a lot of lactation consultants to be coming in and unfortunately making you feel like crap. You and your partner will need to be strong and honestly, don't be afraid to tell them off if you need to. A lot of them like to overstep and that's the last thing you need. Baby will eat very small amounts at a time for the first few days. Likely only 1 oz or so. My hospital did not have a nursery for either of my kids so we had to room in. If you have the option, definitely take it. I got much less sleep while in the hospital than I did while home with a newborn. You'll have nurses coming in constantly all hours of the day/night and many times I had just gotten baby down and someone would come in and flip lights on and make noise which would wake baby up. A nursery would've allowed me to actually rest and heal.

@herooftheday I had my son almost 9 weeks ago and eff from the start, it was the best decision I have ever made. With my daughter 5 years ago I bf for 5 weeks and it was literal hell and caused some ppd for sure.
Also, had a c sections and Still got skin to skin time while they stitch you up, still feel completely connected to my kids. I told them when I checked in I wanted to formula feed and was recommended to use the nursery. So every night around 11 the baby went to the nursery and came back at 7:30ish. Only one nurse was rude about the nursery. They never pushed me on breast feeding and it wasn’t talked about. Congrats and good luck!

@herooftheday I have no idea if my hospital was baby friendly, but there was no nursery, the baby stayed with you unless it was in the NICU. They were great about our decision to formula feed though. Never had an issue and they provided all the FTF formula I wanted and even sent us home with a bunch. We had a planned c section about 2 weeks early so there was no milk even if it had been an option for us.