Pregnant with third, scared!

georgiarose

I just found out I am pregnant with (assuming all goes well) my third child. I already have a boy and a girl who would be 4 and 2.5 when this one is born.

This baby was planned and wanted but I’m still freaking out a bit. Three under 5 won’t be…easy…I imagine. We are very fortunate to have enough space and money but can I hear some positive stories about having 3 kids and being able to pay them all enough attention and it being fun?! My own family are a bit judgmental about having more than 2, for some reason.

EDITED TO ADD: thank you so much for all these kind and thoughtful replies. I really appreciate it. I have realised that I think my biggest worry is my family’s reaction and actually that’s less important. Thank you 💕

@georgiarose 3 is no sweat. It was so easy I added another one 18 months later. 8, 5, 2, 5mo. Go with the flow! It’s just a matter of getting to know the newest model’s preferences and you’re off to the races. You don’t need to relearn how to be a parent or how to parent multiple. Just leveling up what you already know.

@georgiarose I found 3 a breeze!(I was single whilst pregnant and birth and first year and a half of their life as ran from dv so had 3 completely alone no help) I've had an accident durex related and I'm now pregnant with number 5 so I too am terrified! That will make 5 that are 6 and under! (No twins all singles) 3rd is so easy cause you know what to expect and your a pro already I'd say perfect timing age wise as 4yo will be interested and younger one will have a new little friend x

@georgiarose Hi. Dad with a 8/6/3. When my third was about to be born, my older two were 4.75 and 2.5. I didn’t know how we were going to do it, but we did. Third was born late 2020 so still Covid and everyone at home. The third just did what we were already doing with the first two. Newborn stage is a lot, of course, but in all honesty, adding the third was the easiest add of all. I didn’t think it was possible, but it was the easiest add. Newborns don’t need a lot, so you can still focus on your older two. I downplayed it with them at the time - I said their baby sister would be no trouble and would sleep most of the time. They love her so much. My middle and my youngest are thick as thieves. My oldest and youngest play together the least but it’s okay and they have a 5 year age gap (oldest turned 5 a month after third was born). It honestly it’s all good. Is it a lot? Yes. Is it wonderful? Yes, most of the time. I wouldn’t change a thing.

@georgiarose Ours are more spread out, but regardless I think not having constant one-on-one attention has made my kids more patient and independent. Like "yes, I know you want a snack right this second, but I'm feeding the baby, so you can wait 5 minutes or you can go get an apple from the fruit bowl." Granted you can't do that with a 2yo, but by the time your baby is a totally bananas toddler, you'll have more like a 4yo and 5.5yo. That's a lot different.

And personally I think having 3 is a blast. Ours are all boys and my oldest calls himself the leader of the boy gang. He takes his job very seriously lol

@georgiarose I actually found 3 to be our easiest transition! Baby girl just slipped right in. It’s a lot like how you have to refund your footing after having your second but with less fear.

@georgiarose I had the same fears going from 2-3! We now have a 5, 4 & 2 year old! 2 now seems so boring, 3 has been so fun for us! I find that 2 can go play with dad and have a buddy while I get one on one time with whoever :) it’s been so fun watching our oldest be a big sister again! She’s such a help because she wants to but not because she needs to because I’m finding 3 manageable and fun! Also you feel like a super woman going out with 3 kids! But I just took all 3 swimming last week and it was totally manageable!! Congratulations!

@singsoftlytome I agree! I actually feel like 3 is a sweet spot. It's not completely unmanageable with all of them but I can still get 1:1 time while my husband does an activity with the other two. With my kids being so close together too there is always something two of them will find mutual interest in.

@georgiarose Mine are 7, almost 5, and almost 2. They’re all boys and it’s great! Sure I have days I want to pull my hair out but you have those days with one or two as well 🤷🏻‍♀️

@georgiarose I love having three. Mine are 6, 3.5 and 6 months. The first 12 weeks was hard but now that baby is more alert, sleeping better and feeding well it's smooth sailing. I still think the transition from 0-1 was hardest for me. 2-3 has been the easiest.

@georgiarose I had my third, a girl, 6 months ago when my older two were 4.5 (girl) and 2.5 (boy). It’s been great! This baby has had to be more independent with sleep and play than her siblings but that’s gone swimmingly. She’s already scooting army crawl style and sitting up on her own. The big kids just love their baby sister. We’ve been combo feeding so that I’m not chained to the baby and beholden to her schedule. That really helps in terms of being able to give my bigs the attention from mom they need.

@georgiarose I have (almost) 4 yo, 2 yo, and 4 week old.

My oldest was 20 months when #2 was born, and that was a little challenging.

The difference this time around is that my oldest is capable of listening and being helpful. The older two also have each other to play with. And they love the baby.

@georgiarose Mine are 4.5, 2.5, and 9 weeks. We’re doing alright! For me going from 2-3 has been harder than 1-2 honestly. My older two are inseparable but also constantly fighting. But my 4.5 year old goes to pre-K, my husband was able to take some paternity leave, and I have helpful family about 45 mins away so all of that has made it much more manageable. Plus this baby has been my best sleeper yet.

It’s been really fun watching my 4.5 year old become a big brother again at this age.

I come from a family of three kids (in under 4 years!) and we had a great childhood and are close as adults so I wanted similar for my kids.

@georgiarose I went from 2 to 4, it’s hard but manageable. I keep my kids on a schedule, it’s not minute for minute but knowing what we should be doing at a certain time is helpful for me and the kids honestly.

@georgiarose I’m in the exact same position, same aged kids! Freaking out a bit about the thought of having more kids than hands to hold them. I just don’t know how to get kids to consistently listen, follow instructions and having a baby too is going to be a lot.

@georgiarose Going from 2-3 was the easiest transition, much easier then 1-2 for me. You're already juggling, it's just throwing in another ball. IMO the whole first year of my third's life was easier. It feels harder now that they are 5, 3.5, and 1.5. The older two fight too much and nobody ever stops talking lol.

Back