Postpartum underwear/diapers for plus size?

jpocd

FTM and I’m struggling with which route to go. I bought some underwear that I thought I’d be able to wear postpartum with a pad but I have an apron belly and they’re just not fitting right. If I pull them up over my belly I don’t think the pad will sit properly and if I sit them under my belly (like I do most underwear) I’m worried it would irritate the incision if I end up with a C-section. I’ve been looking at adult diapers but I’m not sure which brand or what kind and they’re so expensive I don’t want to buy them and then they don’t fit right either. I want them to be big enough to fit around the belly but snug enough to protect against leaks. I’m 38 weeks today so nothing like waiting until the last minute. Hoping to hear other suggestions on what worked for you or what you plan to do either with underwear or diapers. Thank you I’m advance!

@jpocd I am 36 weeks with my first and also considering going the disposable underwear route… I have Always Discreet in my Amazon cart right now. It says XL fits an adult 200 to 300 pounds. The XXL fits an adult 250 to 400 pounds. They also have pictures of real life plus size people wearing them which I find super helpful for body type questions.

@contemplatio I’ve worn these in L post pregnancy and they fit adequately to stop leaks. I will say they can ride up your backside a bit, but they absolutely do the job!

They would go above a C-section line as they sit above my belly button by a few inches. I’m not 260 so it’s a bit of extra room for me according to the size chart, but they stretch pretty quickly around the stomach while staying tight enough around the legs

@jpocd I used these in size XL and they fit well. I am a size 16/18 with an apron belly (preexisting) and could have possibly even gone down to a L. I had a vaginal delivery but I got them thinking they'd be comfortable if I had a csection and I think they would have been a good fit. Something of note, everyone bleeds a different amount postpartum. I barely bled after day 2 and they were way more absorption than I needed. I am glad I had them in case I'd had a csection but maybe go with the smallest pack available and order more if needed of whatever you get.

ETA: link
Amazon Basics Incontinence & Postpartum Underwear for Women, Maximum Absorbency, Extra Large, 16 Count, Lavender (Previously Solimo) https://a.co/d/gd2TLB1

@jpocd Definitely get the adult diapers! They’re so much more comfortable and you don’t have to worry about washing them when the blood gets everywhere. The mesh underwear in the hospital was very uncomfortable to me. I used depends for both my vaginal and c-section for about 1-2 weeks both times and I loved them! They’re so comfortable and easy to deal with. They don’t leak. Much more comfortable than bulky pads. Plus, they were great for the car ride to the hospital after my water broke with my first. I’ve heard the always are even better than the depends. So I’m going to try those this time around. Just make sure you get unscented!

Back