Possible signs of depression 7 y/o daughter

daaa

My daughter turned 7 and has always been emotional. My husband, daughter and I have always talked about emotions and I feel like we have a good understanding/recognition of how we feel, sitting with the feelings or working through them as needed. I think we’re also pretty good at self regulating. For at least a year, usually at bedtime but it can earlier in the day too, my daughter tells me she’s sad. We try to discuss why but she doesn’t know and never knows. Other times we just snuggle and read until she falls asleep. It’s usually preceded by laughing and smiles and happiness so I’m not sure what’s triggering it. We talk about our days before bed and we talk about what made us happy/sad/laugh….she always ends up telling me she’s sad and could cry “buckets” of tears. I’m concerned about her being sad everyday, and while I think we’re doing the best we can, I wonder if it’s “normal” or not.

Has anyone dealt with this? I am open to all tips and discussion.

@daaa do you think your child may possibly be neurodivergent? kids with adhd can have difficulty socializing at school or keeping up with class for example. they may also may have difficulty regulating emotions and may deal with rejection sensitivity dysphoria. girls also tend to mask better than boys. I’m not a professional, just throwing out ideas because this was my experience.

https://www.additudemag.com/is-your-child-depressed/

A child that young usually has a hard time verbalizing what’s stressing them out, would it be possible to have a child counsellor speak to your child if you suspect signs of depression?

@happy2bcrystal Thank you! We’ve been question this actually based on a few totally different observations (extreme forgetfulness, irritability. What stumps me is that she is extremely social and is doing very well in school. I’ll explore this website and maybe that will help. I think it may be time to address this with our family doctor. I appreciate that you responded :)

@daaa Totally! ADHD is common and can manifest differently in everyone. It’s best to approach your health care provider for a proper assessment. It tends to be over diagnosed in boys and under diagnosed in girls. Kids also don’t always have to go on medication if it’s mild, they can receive coaching on self organization, keeping an organizer or todo list, and emotional regulation. A healthy daily routine and getting nutrients can go a long way too!

@daaa Could there be anything going on that she hasn't shared? Getting picked on at school? Fighting with friends? Maybe anxiety about night time/sleeping/nightmares? Either way, you might ask her doctor for a referral to a counselor if possible

@johnson12 She’s normally pretty open with us and often tells us about the drama at school. But it usually doesn’t involve her at all. No nightmares and we talk about our dreams in the morning. So idk. I think you’re right and it may be time for a family doctor visit. Thank you for your input!

@daaa I’ve never experienced this with a child, but as an adult suffer from depression. Have you talked with her pediatrician? Could be as simple as a deficiency, or more complicated. Hopefully she feels better soon 🙏

@newsboy12 I haven’t yet BUT it’s now on my list. It’s true, we live in Canada and our winter was pretty grim so maybe that’s a component as well. Thank you much for responding.

@daaa Aww poor little thing. Therapy could prove to be helpful for her. Maybe your pediatrician could provide a referral for you. I highly recommend play therapy or art therapy for children. They create an environment where the child stays busy creating art or playing, and it isn’t obvious that therapy is happening. I hope you can find support for her, you’re doing a fantastic job looking out for her! 💗

@frknfly I’ve briefly heard of this and will see if they have any in my area! This would be the exact environment she would be open to and comfortable in. I appreciate the advice and thank you for responding :)

@daaa I vaguely remember feeling like this as a kid around this age. I don’t remember what caused it but I do remember talking to my pediatrician about it but can’t remember the outcome.

In addition to talking to her pediatrician, it sounds like you are doing a great job of making sure she has a safe place to talk about her feelings. Is she in any kind of sports or outside activities? I used to be in a sad/bad mood a lot but as soon as I got to whatever sports practice and ran around outside I was a completely different person. To this day, if I’m feeling down I go for a walk or run outside and it just brings out all of those feel good endorphins to help.

@rob42888 I am the same way! We keep her fairly busy and she’s part of a choir, karate, and art! I’m hoping the sunny weather will help (if it ever comes to stay…Canadian problems). Thank you for taking the time to respond!

@daaa I started my daughter in therapy at age 4 for her "big emotions." When she was 8 she began to have suicidal meltdowns at school so we took her to a psychiatrist who dx'd her with clinical anxiety and depression. She started taking medication and it's been such a positive experience! She really feels like she's herself now that she has help with her moods from the meds.

@aimfortruth That’s awesome you guys were able to find something that works for her!! You sound like an amazing advocate for your daughter. I am certain that we need to make an appt with her family doctor.

@daaa I also figure if it's preceded by laughs there might be something physical going on where she's more sensitive than normal to the hormonal shifts caused by emotion and also at her age there are hormonal changes. I think it's important to let her know what she feels is normal and ok. Just bc she said she's sad atm doesn't mean she's chronically sad. Moreover depression feels much more like a lack. Numbness. Sad is good, sad is alive.

Edit for typos