Obsessing over this decision.

jenny404

Hi all - I am agonizing over the decision to have a second child or not. I feel like it was a super easy decision to have one, but after pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum (and the first year of broken sleep) I am so much more hesitant to have a second. Everyone around me is moving on to their second pregnancies, and on hard days I am 100% OAD. On easy days or days where I feel more rested, it seems more feasible to have another. I’m diagnosed OCD and GAD and this topic has become an obsession. I constantly think about it, read about it, and look for some sort of “light bulb” moment to give me clarity so I can move on. The thing is, I don’t think having a second would do my mental health any good. I worry about PPA and the long term stress of having another child. I want to be the best mom I can be, and I am not sure I’ll be able to achieve that with 2. My question is - why is this so hard to decide on? I think about my level of fulfillment and I’m totally fulfilled with my daughter. I just sometimes romanticize a second child when I think about holidays and the future (my daughter having someone to lean on after my husband and I are gone). Did anyone feel more content in their decision to be OAD as time went on? My daughter is only 19 months. I’m 34 and I know there’s still time.. I’m just tired most of the time and don’t see myself having a baby in my late 30s. I just worry about the risks and having the energy for it. I think I know deep down I’m OAD but can’t seem to stop obsessing over the “right” decision!

@jenny404 I think the right decision is sometimes the one you end up going with. The thing is we only know what we regret with hindsight. To have hindsight we have to make the decisions first. Idk if I wrote that to make sense lol.

I think a lot of people agonize over this decision, afraid of regret. A good portion of me thinks I'm truly done having kids, but I still feel that pull. I still go back and forth on wanting more and wanting just what I have. I think a huge part of me not wanting another surrounds not wanting to go through pregnancy/newborn sleep deprivation/baby stage and crying crying stage .. man that was so rough (my youngest is 2.5 and I'm still struggling with tantrums). Did a number on my mental health after having multiple kids.

When I was debating on a third (bc two was always our default number), I enjoyed reading this advice column several times, found it very thoughtful. "The ghost ship that didn't carry us" by Cheryl strayed.

@jenny404 One thing that helped me, is thinking more short term. The future is hard to plan and predict. If you raise a socially adjusted child, then they will very likely have a partner to join for holidays and to lean on support when you age.

For me, I kept looking for that short term gap. For example, do I feel like someone us missing now? When I do our daily tasks (good & bad), do I see myself taking a baby/toddler along? Or am I relieved by the easy of only having one?

Thinking about your capacity is also fair. Reddit is drowning in examples of parents. I know I "could" survive if I was pregnant with a second kid, but I know I'd be impatient, snappish, etc and I'd rather be a better version of myself for one. However you might have more capacity so my choice doesn't have to be yours.

@jenny404 the day i knew i was ready for my second was that i wanted one on a hard day. i was like you and on good days i was ready but bad days i wasn’t. wait until you want one so bad that even on a bad day, you want another.

@jenny404 I am right there with you, and I’m already trying for #2. And as the months go by without getting pregnant, I get less and less sure that I want another one. My little one is currently 4 1/2.

This past week I chatted with a friend about my fears that my little one would feel intense pressure to be perfect growing up because she’s an only. And that’s how I felt as an only kid growing up - my mom and dad are super intense, and there was a lot of fighting if I brought home less than an A+.

But then my friend said something that knocked my socks off - that children with siblings often have that same exact pressure, but they just feel it in comparison to another kid. What?!? It made me reflect on how much I might be trying to fix my own childhood by having another baby - as opposed to just being the best mom that I can be with the kiddo that I have.

So I’m not sure if that’s helpful. But maybe obsessing less on the decision and more on thinking about what experiences you want your kid to have/do/enjoy… some parents feel like the “sibling experience” is so important that they’d do anything to have it… maybe that’s not the case for me… or for you?

@jenny404 My son is almost 18 months and I have OCD too so have been in and out of your boat haha. Right now I am feeling very content to be OAD for my mental health and reminding myself that I can change my mind in the future helps me keep my mind off of it and enjoying the present moment. I think it's super important since if we do end up OAD we will never experience this stage again and should try our best to soak it all in. Good luck to you! 💗

P.S. Check out "101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think" by Brianna West. In the very beginning she talks about the psychology behind fear of regret and that it's actually impossible to know what will make us happy in the future - we're all just guessing based on past experiences. 🥲

@kayizzi OCD sucks so bad. I obsess over things until something else comes up to obsess about lol. It’s my #1 reason for being OAD. Great advice to remind myself to be present for all of these precious milestones. I will look into that essay. Thanks for the advice. Good luck to you as well ❤️

@jenny404 It is the absolute worst!!! Tries to suck all the joy out of life. It's nice to know we aren't alone though. And we are really strong for having a kid at all given our circumstances! Thank you. 🥰

Back