OBGYN won’t give me bc refill

@shadimubarak Where do you live? I ask because in the US, it's every 3 years of your younger, and an annual is not required. You said you are in college, so I'm going to assume you are in your 20s, but i could be wrong since anyone can be in college. I think it's under 35 or 40 in the US that is every 3 years. So if you are in the US and it hasn't been 3 years, you should be fine for just a refill. I do know, though, that some places can make their own policies, so that could be what it is if you are in the US.

Stopping and going back on in a short period of time like that can in some cases depending on the person cause symptoms like break through bleeding, nausea, and cramps. But it's hard to say if you will experience that since everyone reacts differently to birth control. Since you do use it to avoid pregnancy, you won't be protected afyer the placebo week ends so i would suggest using a back up during the placebo week since you will not be on the hormones after that just to be safe.

Hopefully, your college can get you a pack. But if not, there are online services that can mail in birth control they accept most instances and are at low cost if you don't have insurance or if your insurance, for some reason, is not accepted. You would have to look up what places ship to your area because some places don't have that service.

Again, I'm not sure where you live, so I'm just going to use my country as an example. In the US, some states can't legally send by mail (due to government). But i know that many other countries are less strict, so if you are in another country, you may have a good chance at getting birth control online. It's super easy. You can even ask for the brand you are using, and they will give it to you after you answer a few short questions.

@fridayed This is not true at all lol you cannot blanket all of the US. An annual is definitely required for almost all insurances, I've moved about 7 times in the past 6 years and every one of my gynos required the annual to continue prescribing because of laws regarding specific prescriptions. This is the reason I had to use an online birth control company because I had just moved and couldn't see my Dr for the annual. This is for an obgyn/gyno. There are different rules with different types of doctors and different insurances. But to say every 3 years as a blanket statement is crazy lol they are currently pushing to give pap smears every 2 years, in stead of annually , because insurance doesn't care about women's health and doesn't want to cover it annually.

It also makes SENSE that the doctor has to give you an annual. Birth control is a CRAZY drug.....the fact that so many people are saying it's gross that they require that is crazy, and the problem with why so many women have so many problems with their bodies. You NEED an annual to discuss the effects and go over blood work. Does everything need to be cheaper? 100%! It's not fair WE are responsible for population control but we have to pay an arm and leg for it, on top of the crap that BC does to our bodies. But please you guys, if you CAN, do your blood work lol

@brittswns96 I was going by the information that my obgyn told me. There was a mix up where my nurse called me to set up an annual but then my doctor said it wasn't necessary due to my age. He is the one that told me it was every 3 years if under a certain age. I had other friends who told me they were told the same thing. Maybe it's just my state and i thought it was the whole country. My mistake.

I'm confused because you are talking about blood work and acting like thats all. When an annual for birth control usually includes a pap at least were i am at. My doctor said the reason the yearly pap isn't necessary every year is due to most people not at risk for developing something that quickly when they are young and healthy. So only those over 35/40 or those with underlying health conditions actually need it.

I never said it's not important to get checked. I was talking about OP and her specific situation. Since in her case she is unable to go in and that the time frame is less than a month's difference. So to me that isn't necessary for them to insist and refuse birth control because a few weeks won't be a big deal.

@fridayed I understand, but doctors can't just ignore protocols "for a few weeks." lol...the doctors ALSO have rules to follow..which is my point, which is why these online birth control websites exist, because regulation is different.

@brittswns96 No need to make fun of me. Over it. Wow. The reason i said that is due to having doctors allow me to have my birth control in between the time that my appointment would take. Thats why i said it because i know that places do allow it if it's not that far out. That has been my experience so i was strictly talking about my experience.

@fridayed No one is making fun of you lol I am literally quoting you...you are the one that said that. My point is it's dangerous to just explicitly say "In the US..." when you should have started with saying in your experience. A lot of people that post in here are young, and may take what you say at face value, because they want answers. It's just dangerous to say something as fact when it is NOT a fact.

@brittswns96 The use of LOL after some of your sentences implies that you are laughing at me. Especially when using it after a quote from me. I feel that was unnecessary and that it implies you think I'm stupid.

If you read my original post i clearly said that i was giving my experience from where i am at and that it may be different. Yes maybe i shouldn't have used my country as a whole but there is a part where i said it varies by state so i figured it would be clear enough. Also people should alway fact check before listening fully to someone on reddit so i write with the assumption that they will do that. I'm done going back and forth i am sorry i wasn't clear enough to your liking i will try to be more careful with my wording. Lol

@fridayed Understandable. You did not clearly state that though as you started off with that blanket statement, and actually added "an annual is not required." So you were called out about it. I get where you are coming from though 🤷🏻‍♀️

@brittswns96 I am perfectly fine being corrected i understand the importance of that on an informative sub. Its the way you did it. I thought it was clear because i layer did say it varies i wrote with the assumption that the whole post would be read. Thank you for your advice i really will try to word things better. My advice to you is when explaining things you should try to avoid the uses of "lol" and change your approach. Also stop continuing to do it after the person explained and understood.

@shadimubarak There’s a planned parenthood app where you can order it or get a prescription put in and pick it up yourself. You have to pay if ur insurance doesn’t cover it but it’s super easy

@shadimubarak I’ve experienced this exact same thing before!!! Luckily i have a primary doctor who was fine prescribing me it while i waited for my appt, and i just messaged my primary over their patient portal. do you have a primary doctor?

@shadimubarak Even Walmart prescribes birth control now. You pay a non refundable fee to get an assessment and if the pharmacist thinks you’re good, you get a script. It’s still kind of new. I only did one prescription at my store, but we gave the patient refills for one year

Back