NoRmAl PaReNtS dOnT hOmEsChOoL

katieoh

Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo stick, WHAT ABOUT NOW IS NORMAL

Sorry I'd rather my kids be a little weird with weird friends than risk them being shot. Or getting covid. Or measles or whatever shit antivaxxers are bringing back. Or having another teacher do "the face" when my son says we don't go to church. Or have to explain that it doesn't matter what the other kid said at recess, our aunties aren't pedos just because they're both women. And that our art teacher isn't trying to brainwash them by asking for pronouns.

I have 0 judgement for parents who send their kids to public school because I know it's a privilege to be able to stay home and finance this. Hell, my middle daughter is going to public school next year because it's what's best for her! And I can pull her out if she decides she wants to homeschool. But it's our choice!

Christ almighty. My kids are weird but they aren't antisocial brainwashed mentally ill cult members like apparently all homeschool kids are.

Next person who says something to me about it is getting told to take a flying fuck at a rolling donut because what the absolute fuck. This is the most stressful, difficult thing I've ever done, but I can tell my kids "you're grumpy because of inertia" and they know what I mean!

This is what I get for being curious about a reddit post in a popular subreddit and reading the comments. I know it only ends in angry tears but I still do it.

Edit: this truly is the best subreddit. I stayed off my phone and took the kids to the science center. We're now members and are committed to volunteering two hours a week! I decided to take my anger at the multiple "hOmEsChOoL iS aBuSe" posts and comments and funnel it into showing myself that I'm a decent homeschool proctor.

@katieoh We're Christian want-to-be homeschoolers (big kid is about preschool age) which I guess falls in the stereotype? Someone I know and looked up to liked a tweet that was very much anti-homeschool and it was so disappointing :(

I think secular homeschooling is a fantastic option. Religion's tossed aside, my partner and I were both left behind in the school system in various ways through the years. (Math learning disability + probable ADHD for me and AuDHD for husband) Our girls are more than likely going to be some form of neurodivergent as well and I don't think they'll be able to thrive in a public setting. There's so many ways to make up for the socialization that comes from public school.

@katieoh I saw that post too. It’s unfortunate that what most people believe about homeschooling comes from the most extreme and bizarre situations. My cousins were homeschooled through high school; one of them is a dental tech and the other a biologist now. They were part of a co-op funded by the local school district and they got to take classes outside of their home. Homeschooling can be done right, and it sounds like you’ve got your kids’ best interest at heart.

@katieoh I wish I had the patience, ability, and time to homeschool sometimes - so go you!! I’m not into our local area either and spend an ungodly amount of money yearly for the one private “hippy school” close-ish by. We are driving two hours a day between drop off and pickup to skip the racist, pronoun fearing, CRT obsessed derps in our community.

I love our school and it’s filled with happy little weird kids (shouldn’t all kids be weird?!). I’m willing to bet your kids are just normal weird instead of having their weirdness stripped out by classmates parroting the worst of their parents’ behavior, tapped out teachers in overfull classrooms, and too many hours not playing.

I’m already stressing about what to do for middle school (I’ve got a 1st grader and a preschooler next year lol) and seriously considering trying to be available for homeschool by then and I think I’m exceedingly normal 😅

Solidarity ♥️

@katieoh yikes. people who make random speculations on others gross me out. who gives a flying fuck what another household is choosing to do? i want to get little buttons to pass out to folk like that that say: "mind your business and worry about your own".

@katieoh I am genuinely curious now and want to see this post. Can anyone tell me, even in a PM what sub to look for? No cross posting.

I could not home school due to my lack of abilities and the fact that I bring in half of our family’s income. But homeschooling done right can be wonderful! I also think “weird home school kids” is a stereotype that is often affixed to kids that are homeschooled due to being in cult like settings (looking at you, fundies) who ARE sheltered from the outside world completely on purpose.