New dads, don’t forget to celebrate your wives tomorrow

sherryfl

Dear Dads,

Tomorrow is Mother’s Day. While you should be celebrating your own mom, don’t forget to also celebrate your wife, who is also a mother now.

This job will fall on you for many years until your kids are at least teenagers. There are two reasons you should be doing this:
  1. You’ll be brightening the day of the woman you love. Being mom is hard work. Being pregnant for all those months, giving birth, and momming has been hard. Do something nice for your wife to appreciate her.
  2. You are modeling how to love and be a supportive husband and dad to your kid(s). They are learning how to love from you so do it right.
Sincerely,
a-not-so-new mom

@evelyn63 When I joked with my husband about what he was getting me for Mother’s Day, he responded “why do I even need to get you anything? You’re not /my/ mom.”

Editing to add that he had already got me a thoughtful gift at that point, I was just shocked that he thought Mother’s Day should only be celebrated for his own mother.

@kameaux This morning my father in law said to my mother in law “happy Mother’s Day even though you’re not my mom”. And I bursted out “SHE GAVE YOU CHILDREN”

he got real quiet.

Like wtf tho. I’m happy he said HMD to her but he took away the gratitude by adding “you’re not my mom” like she wasn’t worthy.

I don’t understand why not give alllll the love and thanks when you have a chance. The saying “happy wife, happy life” has a lot of truth to it. If you take care of your woman she will do so much MORE for you.

@kameaux My husband has joked about it too....they take mothers day personally somehow. It's not about you bro? Why does it have to be YOUR mother? Every joke has a kernel of truth which is why I think it stings.

@britbrit90s It really much is .. a lot of mothers aren’t as appreciated as they should be . It’s scary how many people overlook what a mother does for her family .. she literally sacrifices herself and is 100% just there for the family . I feel like it’s getting worse with each generation that it’s more and more seen as „normal“ and nothing to appreciate/ celebrate..

@britbrit90s It didn’t need to be posted, it just was posted. This isn’t indicative of anything. I can post the same thing next month for Father’s Day and it doesn’t mean there’s a problem.

Now I’ll give you this. When my wife was pregnant I very much overlooked that she was a mother on Mother’s Day while still pregnant and admit that was an oversight that could have ended badly had I not had that conversation a month before. To be fair I was at least consistent in not expecting anything for Father’s Day.

My thought on this is that a women feels like a mother bc she feels the baby’s presence whereas, and this is just my experience, I didn’t feel that connection until after my daughter was born so I didn’t feel like a father at the time

@britbrit90s I don't disagree, but I also kinda see how it can slip past some people's radar? Mother's Day is about celebrating the relationship between mother and child, in this case between him and his own mom. It's not wildly insane that a lot of new dads don't immediately clue in to treating their wife to something special on behalf of a newborn potato, a relationship to which he's only a third party.

@finita Yeah, different life experiences, maybe, but it does seem kind of wildly insane to me.

Surely they remember their own Dad helping them to celebrate mothers day when they were a kid (unless their Dads were also deadbeats)?

Even that aside, I feel like it's just a basic level of care and emotional intelligence.