My TSH level jumped from 2.7 to 3.75 in about 5-6 weeks and now I’m scared

judodude

I’m 27 weeks pregnant this week, and I see that my thyroid level came back as 3.75 and it was just 2.7 5-6 weeks ago. Prior to that, it was about 3.2 when my OBGYN discovered it and put my on a low dose of synthroid.

What am I doing wrong? Why would it start at 3.2, go down to down to 2.7, and then rise even higher? I did miss maybe 3-4 days between that time frame (I have since set a reminder on my phone) and I do take it with my coffee in the morning although I know it says for best results don’t eat or drink anything for two hours or something like that.

Could it be that I’m eating too much junk food? I didn’t have this issue last pregnancy. What causes it?

Also! My iron/ferritin level was at like 30 before, and now it shows it’s all the way at 8, and my hemoglobin count is a bit low too. So now I think I’m also iron deficient or anemic? Waiting for my doctor to call based on the results.

@judodude I would take it 30 min to an hour before coffee. Set an extra alarm in the morning before you wake up. Not sure exactly whats going on with your situation but I’d do what the instructions say.

@judodude You should wait 30-60 minutes before having your coffee as caffeine affects absorption of levothyroxine. I have an alarm set an hour before my work alarm, take my meds in bed, get back to sleep and then do my usual morning routine when the second alarm goes off. A jump in your TSH in pregnancy is expected. Mine quadrupled in the first 6 weeks! Some change is normal so not necessarily anything you’re doing wrong but try to have it on an entirely empty stomach as that helps with absorption a lot.

@judodude I’m on synthroid in my third trimester, and I’ve been taking it in the evening before bed since the beginning and have a well-controlled TSH level. I find it way harder to wait for breakfast in the morning, and easier to eat an early dinner and wait 3-4 hours to digest before taking it. I told my OB and the endocrinologist I consulted about this plan and they were OK with it (especially since it seems to be working!).

@judodude What others have said, take it 30-60 mins before the coffee. My thyroid medication never seemed to work right until I did that religiously. Also drink a glass of water with it seems to help me, I think since the tablet I'm on also has salt in it. Works great for me now.

Can't speak to the iron levels though.

Back