My 5 1/2 Week Old Won’t Sleep Unless We Hold Him

Also, this is my second and I enjoy my motherhood more with her, I know she’ll never be this tiny again and most probably she’s my last newborn(I’m leaving an open door to adoption if we want more kids). And I already know I survived with my first, so I will survive this baby too. This phase won’t last forever and you’ll find your way to have fun with your kid.

It’s like you’re dying on the workout and promise yourself to never do this again, and then the endorphins come and you start thinking it wasn’t that bad. It’s like that in the parenthood, sometimes you’re exhausted, sometimes you’re full of joy and happiness. Sometimes both at the same time.

@testallthings Babies crave the closeness of their caregivers, it's in their instinct to survive and it has a lot of benefits for both ,immunity boost, emotional development etc.

Hold him while you can, they grow up so fast..

I remover having held mine like that, the toilet was a distant memory at those times 😂🚽

@testallthings I’m 2 and half weeks in and we’ve already hit this - bubba will only sleep on us and we gave up and just take turns wearing/lying with her, but she does mostly sleep through the night and that helps. She sleeps in the bassinet when we take her out during the day too. She’s reflux-y so we have to hold her up for half an hour too so it makes it worse, because she gets so settled on us she’s upset if she wakes up in her cot. I have no suggestions but solidarity! I definitely couldn’t imagine doing this more than once either.

@testallthings Fellow dad here! My LO is now 4 months old and I definitely remember that stage! I definitely recommend taking your baby for short walks in the stroller. Something about the fresh air just knocks them out lol. It's a little tiring but if you're anything like me, I for sure needed some exercise after paternity leave 😂 helps break the cycle of being home all day. I used that time to start reading too. We don't want to rely on TV to distract him when gets older so it's a nice hobby to get into prior to that age. Good luck and congratulations!

@openhearted Funny you say that cause today was one of the first time he actually relaxed outside. Hoping to keep it up. My problem with reading is it knocks me out. Although that may be because I’m always reading comp sci books haha. I’d love to figure out a way to free up both hands so I can program… for now, it’s the Office: Directors Cut 😵‍💫

@testallthings What I did was try to wedge a small pillow between him and my arm when I sat on the couch, usually a decor pillow. My little guy naturally runs really warm, so it also helped keep him from sweating all over me while I carried him. Once he was in deep hibernation, it was a little easier to rest that pillow between the arm rest of our couch and me creating a sort of tiny bed for him. Helped free up 2 hands but my lap was still being used.

@testallthings I know it’s hard. I remember how desperately exhausted I was in those times.

I just carried my 3 year old to bed after she fell asleep in the backyard swing. I held her to my chest for a solid 15 minutes because I couldn’t remember the last time she slept in my arms. This independent big kid puts her to sleep every night now, today being a rare exception.

I miss those newborn contact naps. I know it’s so hard, but I hope you can find some of the time to savor it. It goes by so fast.

@testallthings Mate, my daughter was exactly the same from about 5-8 weeks. It does get better, but it takes a minute to get there. If the advice you have gotten so far (all good and achievable solutions) doesnt help as it didnt for me (the carrier worked for my nieces though), the best advice I can offer is maybe think about it being the first of many times he will need you. I know it is easier said than done when sleep deprived.

He is not going to be this small for very long and isn't always going to need to be in your arms to sleep. It may be boring now, but these are going to be incredibly fond memories for you. The fact that you are still doing it says he is in good hands. Keep it up mate. This phase doesn't last forever.

Back