My 11 y.o. daughter doesn't like her dad

sylvianlight

My 11 year old daughter cannot stand her father. She doesn't want to go over to his home, ever. It is a fight nearly every single time that she needs to go there and it is getting worse. We do not have a custody agreement because we split up when she was 3 months old and for the most part, do pretty well. We did not have a dramatic breakup and had barely been together a year. Have you seen the movie Knocked Up? That's basically what happened in this situation. I'm close with his parents and his sister--my family and I just attended her wedding, actually--and typically get along with most people in the world. I'm by no means a saint and at times I've been too emotional when dealing with Scott, but, for the most part I've done a lot of personal therapy to become an adult and effective co-parent.

However, this situation seems like it may not be able to continue. She has hated going to his house since she was about 8 years old. She would throw fits like I'd never seen when she was younger. Now, at 11, nothing works. She would rather be grounded from her phone, from her friends, from anything than going over there. Short of physically forcing her into a car, I do not know what else to do.

Scott is odd. He just is. He's only dated once seriously, a girl way too young (had barely turned 20) for the situation. It takes maturity to be in a co-parenting relationship and she didn't have it. I've been with my husband since my daughter was 6 months old and he and Scott have a cordial relationship. But Scott is odd. He doesn't seem to like girls very much and frequently minimizes and invalidates the things our daughter cares about. He does not celebrate any holidays with her and he only ever takes her out to eat. They do not even have a fully functioning kitchen. He is not poor, so that isn't why. He doesn't try to get to know her and he manipulates her feelings.

On Christmas eve, she asked to come back to my house around 11a. They were not doing anything, there was no tree, no presents, no joy. When he dropped her off, she tried to hug him and say goodbye and he walked off in a huff. She sent him a text message at my urging on Christmas saying "Merry Christmas Dad! I love you, see you soon." He did not reply. He took her on a vacation once and they had a rough trip coming back because preteens are hard... and he didn't reach out to me or her for two weeks... this is difficult for a family that doesn't have a schedule or a custody plan.

I live in Missouri. I know that the state would most likely want to see a 50/50 split if we were to go to court. I don't think he will want that to happen and I don't either.. but I don't know what to do. My kid can't stand him. He isn't abusive and I don't fear for her safety there, but he does hurt her heart quite often with his moods. What do I do? Do I keep forcing her to go there? What happens when she physically refuses to go?

He is a LEO. I have always agreed to work around his schedule so he typically has her once a week, when he is off. But he only wants her when it is convenient for him. He will also usually wait until the last minute to let me know of his schedule, too.

Please advise me, Reddit. I've never posted on one of these forums, but I'm at a loss of what to do.

Edited to add: I say he is not abusive and he isn't NOW, but the reason we split up when she was an infant was because when she was crying and he couldn't stand it anymore, he squeezed her butt hard enough to leave bruises on her. He was young and she was colicky, so while I understood how it could happen, I could not forgive him and that is why we split up. He was mandated to go to parenting courses and to anger management courses. He was not left alone with her until she was 4, after that. At first, he would come by my house to see her every so often and as she got older, I would go to his house to let her visit him. When she was old enough to tell me things, we slowly did some unsupervised visits. My daughter does not know any of this occurred and I don't know that I will ever tell her. When I say that I've been too emotional at times dealing with him, I mean that those years ago I was extremely controlling of the situation because I had a legitimate worry for her safety.

@sylvianlight First step: counseling for her

And she’s old enough that she should have a say in this... if she’s not comfortable being there, then it could be detrimental to force her to go. Maybe reduce the amount of time she’s with him? But counseling first without a doubt, and maybe if her dad is open to it, some family counseling after she’s had a chance to speak to someone on her own for a bit.

@eppievillaruel Thanks so much for replying to my first post, ever! Kayla is in therapy. She's been going to a really great therapist for about 2 months. I've asked her to invite her dad to go and she is adamant that if he comes, she will stop talking.

On the ride back from the store today, I tried to help her see the good parts of her dad. I think that Scott loves his daughter, but he doesn't know how to manage his emotions and be the adult she needs.

So you think limiting may be helpful? I worry that it might be the opposite, that if she sees him even less she will decide she isn't missing anything and never go back 😥

@sylvianlight So glad to hear she’s in therapy 🙂

If she decides she isn’t missing anything and never goes back, then so be it. It doesn’t really sound like she or her dad are all that determined to have a good relationship and you shouldn’t want that for them more than they want it, you know? What’s her therapist’s input on the matter? (I know sometimes they refuse to make actual recommendations)

Everyone is different, but sometimes less custody makes the relationship better... maybe he just doesn’t possess the tools/skills to be an effective parent to an 11yo girl. So if she’s there less frequently, he won’t have to do heavy lifting with parenting and they’ll have more quality time as a result. Just a thought.

But if I were you, i wouldn’t force it. She’s very clearly and consistently expressing distress over it and no good is coming from her going against her will.

Truly hope this works out for the best for you and her, and good on you for looking out for her and wanting to do the right thing.