I got Taylor Swift tickets for me and my 14 y.o. daughter and she doesn’t want me to go

@caterpillar5 You bought the tickets for YOU and your daughter, not your daughter and her friend. One of those tickets is yours. Your daughter can choose to use her ticket and go with you or your daughter can choose to stay home with her friend while you go with someone else or no one. If your daughter goes, don't let her sour the fun for you while there. It will be your choice if you let her emotions ruin yours for the night. I wouldn't be mad at the kids for asking this. They're 14. Parents do not have to give up everything for their kids. This is one I would not give up.

@caterpillar5 The “friend” begging you for your ticket is inappropriate. This is for you and your daughter. I know this is hurting your feelings, but stay on course. This will be a great night for you too - your daughter will appreciate this concert with you, if not right this moment, she will later. They are good at hurting our feelings

@caterpillar5 Nip this in the bud and turn the situation around.

Tell your daughter you are going to the concert because you're a fan. That's why you have purchased two tickets. You have another ticket to spare as you have decided to invite someone and enjoy the concert together. But you not going is not an option.

Suggest your daughter to give her ticket to her friend instead, and that you can enjoy the concert with Jane.

That will help your daughter understand what she's doing, and when she realizes her own going is at risk, they will stop it.

Teenagers are selfish and insensitive and entitled, because their whole lives they have seen us, moms, putting them first and making sacrifices to benefit them. They don't think of us as people similar to them, they think we're made of some different material.

@caterpillar5 This should be an in person conversation. Where she can see the hurt you feel and hear it in your tone. She needs to see and hear the impact to grasp it's rude. Have a sit down talk and ex0lain both the social etiquette and the expectations that won't change. You and her. Mom/daughter time.

Back