angelsue

My toddler just got his blood lead levels tested. I know that the CDC reference value is 3.5 μg/dL. I believe (?) that 5 μg/dL would put a child in the top 2.5% for lead.
Is there data for what lead levels look like for the average child? I know there is no safe level of lead, but if a random selection of children in the states (not just those screened for lead exposure) were tested, what do those levels look like?

@angelsue This might help

Many children in the US should be screened for lead exposure - the guidelines are to do a risk assessment at pretty much every pediatric visit and recommend blood test if the risk assessment is positive (living in an older home would count). In addition, many Medicaid programs require lead screening at 1 and 2 years.

“In 2017–2018, median blood lead levels by age group were: 0.7 µg/dL for age 1 year; 0.8 µg/dL for age 2 years; 0.6 µg/dL for ages 3 to 5 years; 0.5 µg/dL for ages 6 to 10 years; 0.4 µg/dL for ages 11 to 15 years; and 0.4 µg/dL for ages 16 to 17 years. The 95th percentile blood lead levels were 2.8, 2.5, 1.7, 1.2, 1.1, and 1.3 µg/dL, respectively, for ages 1, 2, 3 to 5, 6 to 10, 11 to 15, and 16 to 17 years.”

@inhizeyez Did your doctor ask you how old your house was? Maybe they just had a pre-screen questionnaire to determine if it was necessary to do blood work. This is what I have heard some doctors do. Like if you don’t live in an old house than you are most likely safe from lead type of thing.

However, it is standard practice to do blood work at 1 year old to check for lead and anemia. I would highly recommend asking your doctor just to make sure though.

@inhizeyez We are in FL and it is standard to test at 1 year old. My older child (4) has not been tested since he was 1. I believe if you are within a certain threshold it is standard practice to test again at regular intervals or intervene if needed.

@inhizeyez Do you have risk factors like living in an older home or daycare? Our pediatrician was not thorough at all about asking the questions and we did have some risk factors that were overlooked unfortunately.

@inhizeyez Correct. But do you make formula for your 4 month old with tap water? Do you know if your water pipes are lead? If yes then I would get your water tested and also blood test for baby. Just to be safe.

@katrina2017 I exclusively breastfeed. But I use tap water to wash pump and bottle parts. Not sure if that matters? Or if it would pass on to baby through my milk if I drink the water

@inhizeyez I think washing is fine. Also I don’t believe amount passed in breastmilk is a concern bc I remember reading in one of the Flint MI lead poisoning articles that a pediatrician said not to worry about that. Do you drink your tap water? I swear I never gave a second thought about any of this until the last couple years!

@angelsue Just curious how old are these houses for pediatricians to deem if it's high risk or not? I live in Canada and we don't routinely have pediatricians, and I feel like I've never heard anyone talk about their child's blood lead levels here

@alexhunting I live in Aus and I don’t know a single person who has ever been tested for lead poisoning here. In countries with socialized medicine, there’s a push away from mass testing for things, so maybe that’s why Aus and Canada don’t? All my American friends’ kids have been tested, and none of them live in old houses. Some live in new construction.

@alexhunting There are very inexpensive lead test kits available online. It's a bunch of q-tips you can swipe various surfaces and if it turns red there's lead. Very easy.

Back