Kids are dropping the N-Word

@nathanstrong Here's a nickel's worth of free advice. N-word is also a racial slur, but in civil discourse where "the word" needs to be referred to it is preferred.

If used as an expletive, n-word is no different than hard-R

@sf4978 Because it’s the shit clickbait titles that us dads don’t want to get roped into reading.

“Oh man this kid is saying the n word. Dad needs help. Oh nope. He’s literally saying ‘n word’.”

@beebert Yes, that’s the turn. However, the kids saying the phrase ‘n word’ is nearly just as bad. If your kids were in public yelling at each other “oh you N word” would you not be mortified?

@beebert Yeah, it's not about getting or not getting the point of the post. I read the whole thing before commenting. The point is the post is in poor taste, and thus not funny.

@nathanstrong Two things. First, stop saying “the n-word”, especially when you don’t mean THAT word. For reference (NSFW):

Second, I think your kids are way too young to be gaming online.

@amadeus250 I didn't say "N-Word," they started it after I put a hard stop to newb. Second, they don't go online, single-player only. As I think about it more, I do have to wonder if they have ever heard "N-Word" somewhere else or if they were smart enough to come up with it on their own knowing the first letter of n00b is "N"

@nathanstrong Plenty of other people have brought to your attention that “noob” or any variation is not “the n-word”, yet you insist on making that reference. Not sure if you’re obtuse or just trolling.

@nathanstrong You cannot control what they call each other online. As you have learned, any attempt to do so will backfire.

Best to leave it at newb. It is, as it always has been part of a (mostly) harmless, classic, a timeless tradition of dunking someone less experienced than you.

@nathanstrong In my experience from just the kids around my kid in school, those who have the most strict parents who forbid everything at home have the foulest mouths in school. Take from that what you will.

Teach them the offensive words and why they are not ok to use, someone else will either way.
They are going to ask their friends what the n-word means and they won’t explain why it’s bad.

@nathanstrong I’m sorry but a 5 year old appropriately using the word noob is hilarious. Also, that’s not a bad word to me so I would be fine with my kids using it 🤷‍♂️

Definitely don’t want them referring to it as “n-word”
😬