Kids are dropping the N-Word

@d10sfan I did read the entire post. And it sounds like you did and don’t get it.

His title makes it sound like his child is actually saying the word (the actual word). But his son is saying “n-word”. Which is why the title is click bait and also confusing to some.

@nathanstrong Unfortunately, they're here to stay as long as there's people willing to use them against others. It's not a matter of if for my daughter, it's a matter of when, and it scares me to be honest.

@dishfarmer There are still tons of people that go around shouting “I don’t see color!”

Mainly white people, but that’s to be expected when they are perceived to be the main villain in that equation.

@jvgkaty 7 year olds aren’t at the point they can parse the complexity of racial divides over the last 100 years in this country. Seeing their peers as just that is appropriate at this age. To suggest this is same old 1950’s America is ridiculous. Those kids were taught the black kids were bad. His kids are taught they are kids just like any other kid. Sure once they’re older they should start to learn the history, but training a 7 year old to start treating black kids different (good intentions or not) is not the move.

@sf4978 A 7 year isn’t getting a talk about the lasting impacts of slavery, they’re probably getting a talk to help them understand and navigate that at some point some people, whether their peers, or adults, may treat them differently because of their skin color. My wife certainly had experienced racism at that age. It’s not about the “should”, it’s to help them be aware and prepared for the almost certainty that they will experience someone else seeing them differently because of their race. The 1990/ and early 2000s weren’t the 1950s but my wife still got called the n word in middle school? It’s not a binary thing, racism. My high school rugby team had to call off a game when the other team wouldn’t stop using that word against our black players and it was about to be a brawl. Racism THRIVES on acting like because we don’t have de jure segregation racism ceased to exist and is something we shouldn’t discuss at all.

@jvgkaty Race should never be a factor in anyones decision making process. Thats what raising people to be "oblivious to race" typically means. And like the other person said, kids dont really understand race and the connotations til later in life. You cant have the "history of slavery" talk with a 5yo. Well, you can, but it wont end how youd like, because even telling them not to say noob didnt end how OP liked and yall shamelessly downvote his attempt to communicate the lack of race in the decision making process of his household and the little people he is raising. Asshats.

@jvgkaty Not trying to play the "black friend" card, but they have two biracial cousins who they greatly appreciate spending time with and my kids are (according to the matrilineal custom) Jewish. I don't want to minimize the struggles their cousins will face, but I also don't want to teach my kids there is anything different between themselves and their cousins.

@nathanstrong I mean there is definitely something different, and your cousins will learn about it when they’re teenagers and interact with law enforcement or store employees or random citizens etc

@jessemini14 I think a lot of these comments miss the point that it isn’t about telling your kid people are different inherently by race, it’s acknowledging there are still people out there that may treat them differently because of it and that’s wrong but to acknowledge it. It’s like saying we should share, and be kind to others, and you shouldn’t bully peers, but I’ll still teach my kid what to do when others aren’t kind, others don’t share, etc.

@nathanstrong I see no problem with the post. It’s accurate, maybe intentionally misleading but for a point, and also not in a negligent way. Solid post, fair title, I feel redeemed spending the time reading the body. Clickbaity would imply I got conned into wasting my time reading further, and that’s not the case here. These people downvoting you are idiots.

@nathanstrong I'm astonished at the number of people commenting who did not read or comprehend your post. I honestly think half the people commenting believe your 5 year old daughter is dropping the hard R on game chat and don't get why you're not more pissed.

@nathanstrong Raising kids to be oblivious to race, in my experience and understanding, was never the goal.

Because you asked, I’d teach your kids why that isn’t an appropriate slur to use before they do it to someone at school and are (understandably) handed social consequences for it.

What they don’t know can and will hurt them. Your kids can’t appropriately navigate this if you don’t let them in on age appropriate information.