Just learned that cash register receipts are FULL of BPA

@kimnerdy Too late. The credit card company already has this data, and they package it together with everything else they can find out about you and sell it to the highest bidder. How else will every marketing company on the planet know which ads to target you with? Credit card companies and grocery stores are pretty much personal data mines, and if you don’t like it, then you can kiss your “free” frequent flyer miles and cheaper gas at the grocery store goodbye.

@al8115 A few years ago Science Friday podcast hosted a researcher who focused on heath effects of phthalates. They were asked about how to avoid exposure. They said it’s pretty much unavoidable but the most important thing is to not touch receipts. I’ve never forgotten that advice. To this day I simply decline the receipt when I know I won’t need to return.

@jwd BPA has been banned in Canada since 2010. Retailers have used similar chemicals instead. Not scientific but here is a CBC article from 2019 about it.

Just quickly googling I found some references to Loblaws aiming to get rid of all bisphenol substances by the end of 2021 but no confirmation that that happened.

@klad So's sunlight, air, estrogen, leather, wood dust, and a lot of other ubiquitous things. Being a group 1 carcinogen sounds way scarier than it is, even if it's obviously something to have in mind.

@kickthichphattiren689 Vegans live on average 10 years longer. 🤷🏻‍♀️😂 (see my last edit)

ETA: It is scary. And it’s avoidable to get a dietary caused cancer.

✨Just don’t consume certain meats.✨

Your comparison is like someone endorsing eating large amounts of poison, enough that’s been scientifically proven to be fatal, intentionally because some other potentially harmful things also exist.

ETA: To anyone seeing this…..as someone pointed out vegan & vegetarian aren’t typically on even playing fields when it comes to vitamin deficiency. So I should’ve said vegetarians, not vegans! JAMA & BMI both have published studies about the benefits of a vegetarian diet if you’re interested.

@klad No they don’t 😂. There’s no scientific consensus about veganism being linked to longevity. There are a few cherry picked articles, but by and large it’s accepted you could be healthier, but not necessarily live longer.

@bezmar I’m going to assume it’s easier to be vegan when you’re rich and educated

Rich and educated people live longer

Not sure the soy is doing as much as the cheddar

@bezmar Scientific Consensus: One of the best ways to improve our longevity is to reduce our risk of life limiting dietary related illnesses.

Scientific Consensus: Vegan & vegetarian diets lower the risk of a myriad of life limiting dietary illnesses.

So what’s that mean for the individual?

That he has the power to improve his life expectancy via a change in diet; should he choose.

I know there are articles in science magazines that have concluded a vegan or vegetarian diet is associated with improved longevity.

I also found a study that concluded it’s not “necessarily” associated with longevity but that made me laugh. Because they’re not able to study what matters most (for reasons that should be extremely obvious). And that’s whether or not a vegan or vegetarian diet improves their lifespan.

To simplify, it doesn’t matter to the vegan or vegetarian if they outlive their meat eating neighbors, only that they improve their own lifespan.

@klad I don't have time to search for the relevant studies, but when I looked quite a few years ago, vegetarians tended to live longer but not vegans because vegans tended to have nutritional deficiencies.

@klad Not very surprising. The farther you venture from the path of least resistance, the better you're going to have to be to navigate. It's the same reason why Linux users are generally more competent around computers.

Back