Is our nursery dark enough? (Black out curtains)

luqmanmichel

FTM. Having babe in a couple weeks.

Is our nursery dark enough? I realize our curtains are not completely black out. I do have a set I like less that are much more blackout.

I kind of like the orange lighting these bring, but it’s not dark as night lol.

(Nursery is not finished yet)

nursery during the day

curtain options

We currently have A up. We like because they are velvet, longer, and a lighter orange color.

We have B as well as they are completely blackout but a much cheaper material and more orange red.

@luqmanmichel In my opinion, no. I started to struggle getting my newborn back down to sleep for first nap in a room like this around 8 weeks. I’d get some roller shades (ie from Ikea) for behind the curtains.

@luqmanmichel You'll probably be alright up until around 6 weeks. Before then, a lot of babies can nap in full blown daylight with household noise - it's actually good for them to help develop their circadian rhythm and make them less nocturnal. Once they start to "wake up to the world" around 6 weeks though, they can get a lot more distracted and you'll likely need a much darker space. All babies are different though and if your baby ends up being a contact napper, it may not make much difference.

@gaconvn Okay maybe we will get the roller curtains suggested above. Keep those up behind the curtains for a while until it becomes a problem and then put them down when the time comes.

@luqmanmichel As the other posters have said, you likely want it to be darker. Best practice is pitch black so you can’t event see your hand in front of your face, but that’s pretty hard to do. All babies are different though, so yours might be fine with more light. My son is fine with light at nap time, but for overnight sleep we found that he’d wake up to any hint of light on the horizon so we invested in better shades to keep the morning light out.

I also agree that it’s helpful to have baby nap with noise/light in the first 6 weeks. My son was a jaundice baby so we napped him in lots of light for the first 5 weeks and I think this really helped with his day/night confusion as we never really experienced this.

@luqmanmichel Haha we have 3 animals (1 dog and 2 cats) in a 1 bedroom apartment so I definitely understand noise. If you let the dog bark as normal baby will get used to it very fast. My son (5 months) gets scared when we turn the faucet on but doesn’t even register dog barks anymore. The early weeks are also easy cause their hearing isn’t so great. After that, it’s mostly just an issue right when you put baby to sleep. At this point my son is usually pretty good about sleeping through any dog barks/cat meows. I do feel bad for him though, as the cat sometimes meows right next to his crib. She hasn’t gotten the memo yet about the baby needing to sleep.

@seeker88 This makes me feel better! Honestly I’m more anxious about the pets than anything. Everyone seems to hate them or rehome them. I know things will change drastically, but it’s nice to hear that it’s doable.

@seeker88 This makes me feel better! Honestly I’m more anxious about the pets than anything. Everyone seems to hate them or rehome them. I know things will change drastically, but it’s nice to hear that it’s doable.