Is our nursery dark enough? (Black out curtains)

luqmanmichel

FTM. Having babe in a couple weeks.

Is our nursery dark enough? I realize our curtains are not completely black out. I do have a set I like less that are much more blackout.

I kind of like the orange lighting these bring, but it’s not dark as night lol.

(Nursery is not finished yet)

nursery during the day

curtain options

We currently have A up. We like because they are velvet, longer, and a lighter orange color.

We have B as well as they are completely blackout but a much cheaper material and more orange red.

@luqmanmichel In my opinion, no. I started to struggle getting my newborn back down to sleep for first nap in a room like this around 8 weeks. I’d get some roller shades (ie from Ikea) for behind the curtains.

@luqmanmichel You'll probably be alright up until around 6 weeks. Before then, a lot of babies can nap in full blown daylight with household noise - it's actually good for them to help develop their circadian rhythm and make them less nocturnal. Once they start to "wake up to the world" around 6 weeks though, they can get a lot more distracted and you'll likely need a much darker space. All babies are different though and if your baby ends up being a contact napper, it may not make much difference.

@gaconvn Okay maybe we will get the roller curtains suggested above. Keep those up behind the curtains for a while until it becomes a problem and then put them down when the time comes.