Is it okay that my 4.5 mo’s bed time is 6-6:30 pm?

davidschmitt

My 4.5 month old has always been a decent but chaotic sleeper. Just recently though, every day she has started acting super tired around 5:30 pm. It takes everything I’ve got to get her to not freak out from being overtired before 6 pm when I feel like it’s normal to start a bedtime routine. She’s usually asleep by 6:30 pm. So far, she has stayed asleep for a while, not waking for a MOTN feed until around 2-3 pm. She does wake up pretty early like 6-6:30 am which I don’t love, but since she’s getting a good amount of sleep, I can’t complain.

It seems to be working pretty well for her, but 6 pm for bedtime just seems super early. She is not a great napper during the day so I’m sure she just gets tired earlier - I’ve been trying to work on naps but haven’t been successful. Does anyone else’s baby have a naturally early bedtime? Is it okay that her bedtime is this early?
Is it something I should try to change for any reason?

@davidschmitt This is almost my exact scenario with my LO. He is 4 months going on 5 and his bed time is anytime from 6-6:40. He sleeps great at night, I do a dream feed at 2 am and he wakes up for another feed at 5 with my wife but goes back to bed till around 7-7:30.

All that being said, the day naps are terrible. 30 min, like clockwork. I feel like it is working for us so we haven't thought about rocking the boat. I'm curious to see what other's say.

@godfavour Some days we do a feed around 4:30/5 pm too and she sleeps a little later. I don’t know if this schedule is normal but good to know someone else’s LO is doing the same.

@godfavour My 3 month old sleeps amazingly during the night - around 11h, with one feed.
We started using Huckleberry for day naps and OMG, it's amazing. We don't do sleep training, but the app helped me identify better when she needs to nap and that, paired with a structured nap routine improved her day naps by A LOT, without affecting her night sleep.

She now naps 3-4 times/day, for 45-120min.

@prsfan84 Mine was like that too; it’s getting better now that he’s almost 5 months. He usually sleeps between 8.30-9 now, so we’re getting there!

@davidschmitt My son is 10 months and usually goes to bed around 6-6:30 as well. I know some people say a 7-8pm bedtime is “ideal” but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. He seems to just be naturally early to bed and early to rise, and he sleeps fine so works for me!

@davidschmitt My son went to bed around 6-6:30 until he was almost 2! It worked like a charm. I swear that many families have sleep issues because kids are going too late and they get into a cycle of being overtired. Early bed is my secret weapon!

@davidschmitt They sleep when they need to imo.

My 7 month old, around 4 months was sleeping at 8pm every night, you could almost set a clock to it.

He’s now tuckered out by 7 and still wakes up at 6am, just like he did when he slept at 8. Gets his naps and does all the normal things - except he sleeps through the night, thank all gods.

@davidschmitt My son is 10 months and goes to bed at that time. It's nice to have some evening time again that is just me and my husband, but he does wake up at night. Sometimes at 4 for good, so getting until 6am would be glorious for me.

He was a terrible napper at 3 months. Like several 10 -minute ones and maybe one with 30 minutes in the pram. Now he sleeps 2 or 3 times during the day.

@jjgodman Oh my gosh, how do you get all his naps in? Mine is 12.5 months still on 2 naps. We start the bed time routine at 730 and he wakes anywhere between 630 and 8. I'm struggling as he's wake windows aren't 3.5 hours as he is sleeping 1.5-2 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon. I've been worrying his schedule needs adjusting but I have no idea how to adjust it.