In case anyone needs it: this is the official permission post for parents living in places with sub-freezing weather to relax on screen time and food

1daysoon

If there’s anyone who’s in the midwestern or eastern U.S., and it’s going to be dangerously cold all week, and you’re beating yourself up about creating wholesome, enriching experiences while you’re all trapped in the house: you can cut yourself some slack. It’s okay.

Screens and junk food 24/7 are bad. But giving in to survival mode this week doesn’t mean your children’s brains will rot out. The outdoors is dangerous. Activities and possibly even school are cancelled. You need to worry about dripping the pipes, letting the dogs out, managing on the food you have in the house or venturing out into the extreme cold. Cut yourself some slack and pull up some classic Disney movies.

Some prepared rebuttals for people like me who insist on overthinking about feeling guilty all the time:

“But I don’t want them dependant on screens!” They won’t be. One or two weeks out of 52 do not make a brain.

“But Blippi and Cocomelon are like baby crack!” So don’t watch Blippi and Cocomelon. Watch your favorite movies as a kid and share those with your kiddos. Watch Bluey. Watch nature documentaries. Watch moderately-shitty kids TV if it helps you avoid truly shitty TV. Also? They’re not literal street drugs. Your kid isn’t going to OD and die.

“There’s no bad weather, just bad clothing.” Yeah, no. This is bad weather. You won’t be able to take them out for fun sledding days in 20°F or fun puddle-splash days when it’s monsooning if they die of frost bite today.

“But I could be using this time to make homemade obstacle courses, or teach them important baking skills, or hold all-day cozy read-a-thons!” Of course you can. Do that good stuff as much as you want. And once your kids start complaining about your expertly-tailored craft station, or they turn the obstacle course pieces into wrestlemania pieces, or they say that your cherished childhood novels are stupid and they throw them at your face, and you start to go in mental circles about what YOU could do better: give up. Don’t always give up! But give up this week.

“But back in the 1800s, they didn’t have screens, and they survived!” Yeah, and they also had whisky on infants’ gums and corporal punishment. Who cares.

“But if I do [XYZ] now, when we stop in a week and half, they’ll have tantrums.” Yeah, that’s possible. You’re a capable and involved parent. You can handle those tantrums then.

“But so-and-so managed to get her kids cooking homemade Ratatouille AND the KEIC protein muffins during the last polar vortex!” Good for her! You know whats good for you, though? Chicken nuggets eaten while watching the Trolls movie.

Here's your magic permission dust: 🪄✨✨✨

Fuck perfection. Embrace survival.

@1daysoon PNW here with 12 degree weather. All about survival (that’s like, really cold for here ok!) no bad weather, only bad clothes…. Well, we have bad clothes and it doesn’t make sense to spend $$$$ to fix it right now

@1daysoon Also, for those of us whose child becomes a Hulk monster when they get more than 25 min of screens AND doesn’t nap…well, we’re in this together.

@mila My dog barked cause my cat knocked something over and woke up the baby. Now she’s gonna “power” through the rest of the day on less than a half hour nap because she always refuses a second nap.

@1daysoon Plus I like many other working moms are stuck with no childcare or schools AND we’re still expected to telework!

We did two hours of backyard sledding this morning but tablets and nap time means we get to work and keep some vacation time.

JK all my vacation time goes to sick days.

😵‍💫

@1daysoon I have had a 4-page-long printed Twitter thread, attached to my heavy metal front door with very strong magnets, since 2020. It's a reminder very much like this one, about the fact that we were all traumatized and emotionally overwrought by just how extreme the pandemic/shutdown situation was, and an admonishment that it's irrational, beating ourselves up for not always using that time productively, for still feeling overwhelmed and afraid. It's basically demanding that we all get off our own asses about having posttraumatic responses to what was both a triggering and trigger-forming series of events - in particular those of us who have additional barriers, challenges and responsibilities that compound the trauma, such as parents of young kids, those with disabilities and chronic health conditions, etc. Because, of course, those tend to be exactly the people with no patience for their own humanity.

So, even though I don't have school-age kids anymore, any post like this is reinforcing that reminder on my door.

And truth be told, it's 4 years later and I am still recovering from 2020. Or more accurately, recovering from the health and situation declines that truly reached peak-ape-sh*t that year. Cap that off with major spinal surgery last spring (that was it's own trigger generator) and finally a week trapped at home by 25" of snow and a lack of disability awareness from the removal team, an inadequately heated apartment - that got down to 60 degrees before emergency measures were taken - and a 4-day long internet outage, and man! Do I need reminded to get off my own ass?!

I'm literally cuddling with the fibro-bunny my sister bought me for Xmas, after a tearful tele-health visit with my therapist today, discussing why I need to start embracing such coping tools - and a few minutes ago I started tiredly telling myself, "Well, now that the Internet is back up, you should probably start going through your inbox."

If you are stressing out over somehow "doing it wrong," while riding out a 20 below snow storm with kids, tread as much water as it takes to get everyone through safely. Anything you manage to pull off beyond that is a bonus you should reward yourself for later. :x

@1daysoon Apparently/ I’m so-and-so 😅

Canadian here and I actually love getting out in the cold (while dressed warmly) and I hate to see people say they are “trapped” inside or that they “can’t leave their house” when it’s cold. If you are feeling stir crazy I want to assure you that you can go outside and even have fun! Would love to see my other Canadian, Nordic and Minnesotan people weigh in lol.

AND

If you want to take this opportunity to stay inside and stay cozy, and do some stuff you don’t normally “allow” yourself to do to them by all means do that :).

@simondarok Minnesotan here! Yesterday morning the feels like temp was -30F (right now we're up to a balmy -23), which means exposed skin can get frostbite in 10 minutes. I assume less for my toddler's still-fresh skin. I love winter and we get outside almost everyday (toddler recently discovered a love of shoveling snow :). But there's cold and there's cold, and for us, this is absolutely not safe for outdoor play. IDK what temps and windchill are like elsewhere right now, but these are hunker down days here.

@spiritofdiscernment Agreed! We love playing in the cold too, we have base layers and good gear and all that jazz. This post is pretty specifically about the dangerous cold— in Chicago the NWS has issued a wind chill warning, and we will not be going out to play when the temperature currently is -3 and the “feels like” is -21, regardless of the sunshine. Not worth the risk of frostbite!

@carolny I had to google but it’s 3F here and feels like -15 so in the same neighborhood but yes a bit warmer!

We went on a short walk, nothing crazy.
But it was nice to get outside and have a bit of fresh air. That’s all!

@1daysoon Hi yes I have gone out in that weather. That’s not the point I’m getting at. My response wasn’t meant to be about any specific person’s decision to go out any any specific temperature!

No one needs my (or anyone’s) approval to stay in.

Back