US Home Birth: Join me on a casual meta analysis and personal case study

@ajay004 " The neonatal mortality for US hospital midwife-attended births was 3.27 per 10,000 live births, 13.66 per 10,000 live births for all planned home births, and 27.98 per 10,000 live births for unintended/unplanned home births. "

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32044310/

So, roughly a 4x greater mortality rate of the baby.

Also:

"The type of midwife attending US planned home birth appears to have no differential effect on decreasing the absolute and relative risk of neonatal mortality of planned home birth, because the difference in outcomes of US planned home births attended by direct-entry midwives or by certified nurse-midwives is not statistically significant. "

If you're in the US, states vary widely on who they allow to call themselves a midwife. In some states, Certified Professional Midwives only need a high school diploma (I believe Arkansas is one such state but that might've changed) Whereas Certified Nurse Midwives are RNs who have gone on to get master's degrees in birth.

I think it's also important to be aware of the unpredictable complications that can happen in labor. One to note is umbilical cord prolapse, which has an occurrence rate of 1 in 300 births and is entirely unpredictable. Not only that, but if it happens, you have less than 10 min to get the baby out (not just to the hospital, but get mom in the OR and have the surgeon ready) before permanent brain damage sets in because the baby can't get oxygen.

Ultimately it's your wife's decision, of course, but I would start looking into the incident rates of unpredictable complications and see if you're willing to accept the risk then. If your only looking at predicable ones, you can have a false idea of the risks involved.