I was supposed to be at Club Q last night and cancelled at the last minute

tyleryhwh

My best friend is going through a breakup and I have been suggesting that this weekend we go out. We were going to go to Club Q because we’re both bi and I was going to wingwoman her. Also, Club Q is massively popular and everybody loves it. We talked all week about going on Saturday night and were pretty excited - I’m autistic and it’s pretty rare that I feel like going out like that.

She had gone over to one of her partners’ places (she is polyamorous) and was going to see if she wanted to go to Club Q and the three of us were going to go together. At the last minute though we all decided on staying in.

I never expected a mass shooting here. Colorado Springs has always felt really safe. I can’t believe this happened. Me and my bff are feeling really shaken and upset; we aren’t sure if we want to live here anymore. Fucking hell! Why can’t we do something about this shit already?!

@katrina2017 I saw two headlines about the shooting and neither mentioned the club being LGBTQIA+ OR that it was possibly a hate crime. Just a shooting, like any other day. I had to come to reddit for that.

@katrina2017 I'm local and the first articles available were overseas. One of our news stations only had a vague "we're aware of activity at such and such cross streets" without any hint of what it was first thing this morning. It happened around midnight MST.

@tyleryhwh It’s absolutely heartbreaking. I’m Australian & it’s easy for me to say I don’t know how people can live their lives in the US with this shit happening seemingly non-stop with no signs of any changes. But people shouldn’t have to uproot their whole lives and move COUNTRIES because of this?? But what is the other option?? If things have STILL not changed after the mind-boggling amount of horrific shit that has gone on, when will they?? Hugs if you want them, I can’t imagine the terror & frustration & anger you must be feeling. So glad you & your friends are safe 💕

@tyleryhwh And today is Transgender Day of Remembrance.

I'm going to do some research and see if there's anything I can do beyond sitting here in tears, thinking about those innocent people.

@tyleryhwh I am sorry. Big hugs if you want them. I have nothing else I can say - I don't even want to go to public things anymore. I worry about taking my kids even to school events. I do not understand how this is what we live with now.

@tyleryhwh Idk man, I live in PWest and wouldn’t put a shooting at a gay club above the numerous fundies and vets with mental illnesses who live in Springs. It’s a terrible tragedy. I’m sorry you all are going through it right now.

@tyleryhwh I'm glad you're safe. I'm in the springs too, I've been so angry and sad and shaken all day. If I could move away from this place I would. Most of the time it doesn't feel like the radically hateful conservative beacon that the rest of the state paints it out to be, but tragedies like this and the planned parenthood shooting in 2015 prove that it is. The Colorado Springs subreddit has a support thread going and someone put together a discord for those who need someone to talk to.

I'm here if you want to message me.

@tyleryhwh i’m in the springs as well and i’m just so shaken up by it. i mean, i don’t know any queer people in this city that haven’t been there at least once. it’s just so hard and feels so personal. please reach out to someone if you need to talk.

@tyleryhwh I'm so sorry, and glad you are safe. Reading the headlines this morning was like Pulse all over again. My wife and I were pretty shaken by it and we're all the way down here in FL; we've not gone to some Pride events (particularly family-friendly ones) this year because of the threats, protests, and harassment. I hate that we have to live this way. I wish you luck and healing as you process this.

@tyleryhwh Wow that's so sad you're so familiar with that spot! I live in Littleton and I've always felt very unsafe in the springs. I even had one sketchy air bnb incident that had us driving home at 12pm because it was so upsetting. And my father in law was murdered in monument and then of course the killer was let off with a bs pro gun self defense verdict.

We have to drive down to the springs once a year for my kids sports competitions and even though I've found some very good food the whole place just gives me bad vibes!