I need help!! Wash routine is not working.

cookie1720

Okay this will probably be a long post because I want to include all the details so hopefully someone can help. We started using Nora’s nursery pocket diapers and I was using dreft detergent but I think the fragrance really irritated babies skin so I switched to All Free and Clear. Well I realized that wasn’t recommended to use so I got Tide free and clear. I only used the All f&c maybe 2 or 3 washes? We EFF and thought the poop is water soluble but it wasn’t coming out in the wash so I started to rinse off poopy diapers. Our water is hard (250 ppm) so I add 1/2 cup borax. Our washer is Whirlpool model WTW5057LW0. I used the pre wash and wash settings recommended by someone on the Fluff Love fb group. Prewash on normal hot with fabric softener setting on (no fabric softener added) and main wash on heavy duty hot. Poopy diaper still came out with residue and stinks! Should I fully strip my diapers? Where am I going wrong? I desperately want cloth diapering to work but I don’t know how!

@cookie1720 In your prewash and the main wash, right? (Typically the advice is full amount recommended for heavily soiled load in the main wash cycle, and half that amount to be used in your prewash. Just verifying because some people think they can get away with no detergent at all in the prewash).

Some other things you could consider:

You don’t need to strip the diapers, but you’ll want to bleach soak them to get rid of the smell and whatever is causing it.

Make sure you’re using the removable agitator that your machine comes with, if you have it. Also make sure your loads are bulked sufficiently for proper agitation. This is more important for the main wash cycle. Look inside after it’s filled and make sure you have a “diaper stew” consistency and not “diaper soup” - too much water will decrease the agitation and they won’t get properly cleaned.

As for your borax - I’m quite certain that for water as hard as yours, you’ll need 1/2 cup of borax in both the prewash and main wash.

If you’re still having issues after all of that - consider switching to tide original powder. It’s much more effective in hard water.

@cookie1720 Tide powder covers 200ppm. 1/4 cup borax covers 60ppm. So too much borax. But you might have mineral buildup, I’d strip and sanitize (strip with RLR then sanitize with a bleach soak) and start over.

@cookie1720 I have a LG front loader and do the following with no issues hopefully it helps or you can try something similar to see if it works. We formula feed only and have Nora nursery as well. I’ve been doing this routine now for almost 5 months with no issues since starting: 1st wash after 3-4 days, I rinse off all poop diapers at time of change and put into a dekor diaper pail with cloth liner. My water ppm is very hard 300-400ppm also. 1st Wash on normal, warm,heavy soil,high spin. I did quickwash originally but was too inconsistent so I stick with normal. Also avoid the pre wash button/setting. Make sure my washer is 50-75% full if not I bulk(first wash doesn’t matter to bulk but I do anyway for ease. I was donated a bag of cloth diapers with bad PUL and elastics that I purely use to bulk a load) Add line 1 with tide original mountain spring powder to washers detergent bin. Wash time is usually ~2 hours, still alittle smelly at this stage. I then do the 2nd wash right after on bright white setting, hot,heavy soil,high spin, with two extra cold rinses. The bright white setting on my machine uses more water and agitates similar enough to heavy duty. I open the door and fluff/unstick everything. I add to line 3 with tide free and gentle powder to detergent bin. Wash time is ~2ish hours. I put everything in dryer on ultra low setting for 1hour 30min

Back