I just survived six days camping with my daughter (7)!

@cyrilmiami for one, don't jump into tent camping- google "cabin campgrounds near me" and look at options that aren't too far from a supermarket (walmart, giant eagle, etc). that is a much easier transition and will require less gear to be packed. it also makes the penalty for failing to remember something way, way less punishing. this also gets you (sometimes) showers and running water, and maybe even beds

stay for 3-4 days. thats long enough to feel worth it but short enough that if shit goes south you won't feel awful leaving.

then it just becomes "wouldn't it be nice if..." moments that you can work on as you budget for it. "wouldn't it be nice if we only cooked over the fire? wouldn't it be nice if we used sleeping bags in a tent? wouldn't it be nice if we chopped our own firewood" etcetera

camping is cheap as hell and only gets cheaper as you learn to bring your own supplies and stuff you'll need.

@kelseydana I'll modify your last sentence, camping CAN be cheap as hell, or it can be wildly expensive, really just depends on the kind of camping you're doing. My ultralight backpacking setups that I've used for multi-day backpacking trips into remote areas of Utah (especially the desert with limited water resources)....not cheap. My car camping setup with homemade platform and the basic supplies that we need to travel around the west and sleep in the back of my 4runner? Pretty damn cheap.

One other thing I'd add, staying in a cabin in a campground is not camping, it's a slightly different kind of hotel. You might roast some marshmallows on a campfire, but at the end of the day you aren't camping. An RV is a sort of middle ground as well, a lot of convenience factors that otherwise are not part of the camping experience. Tent camping can be REALLY REALLY easy if done in an organized fashion, use checklists and keep your gear organized from the outset. You'll probably still forget something, but if you go into a camping trip with the idea that you're just going to throw the tent in the car with the roasting sticks, marshmallows, and a few supplies along with the kids...you're going to have a miserable experience even if you camp next to a walmart.

One last thing, if you are camping with young kids then keep your plans minimal and your expectations LOW. Don't go into a camping trip/location with the idea of: we're going to get up at 8am, go hike to the waterfalls at 10am, have lunch at 11am, go to the beach at 1pm, relax in the hammock at 3pm, have dinner at 6pm, roast marshmallows at 8pm, in bed by 9pm. Strict plans and expectations will only result in chaos an disappointment, roll with the punches, make things easier for yourself mentally.

@alenandy
One last thing, if you are camping with young kids then keep your plans minimal and your expectations LOW.

In particular, if it's your first time sleeping in a sleeping bag in a tent, you're all probably going to sleep like shit and be exhausted and cranky the next day. No one will be operating at 100%, so it's good to lower expectations.

@kelseydana Camping is cheap AFTER you have all the gear lol. I was pretty into backpacking before kids (hoping they will get into it once old enough) and while a trip may only cost gas to get to the trailhead and a few days of food. But your carrying $1k+ of gear on your back

@cyrilmiami I would start by doing some of the traditional “camping” activities for a day trip. Things like hiking, bird watching, fishing, swimming in a lake, and geocaching. Sitting around a campfire and setting up a tent is just a small small—albeit memorable— part of the experience, and getting some knowledge on how to actually manage the outdoor activities (reading a trail map, tying a fishing hook, handling a canoe, etc.) will make your experience much less daunting.

Also my wife hates tents and lack of showers. There’s no shame in the cabin game if any of your local parks offer it.

@jesusissalvation
Sitting around a campfire and setting up a tent is just a small small—albeit memorable— part of the experience

I agree with your overall comment, but I disagree with this. I do think there's something unique about sleeping out in nature outside of four walls.

It connects you with human history and our sense of security in ways that few other activities I've even done approach. When you're laying there in the dark in the middle of nowhere keenly hearing every single animal and gust of wind out there... there's nothing else like it.

@mamma1 Maybe it's better not to know.

Once many many years ago, I was camping and I heard something exploring the campsite. It was incredibly loud: I could hear it breaking branches, crashing through the underbrush, loudly digging in the ground.

I thought for sure I was about to get eaten by a bear.

After quivering in my tent for many anxious minutes, I finally summoned the courage to peek outside. It was an armadillo. A very small but very loud armadillo. Noises at night in the woods hit different.

@cyrilmiami Same here. I had no camping experience. I can’t stress that enough.

I rented an 18 foot trailer from outdoorsy. Its like airbnb for trailers. I wanted a SMALL one. Basically it was a queen bed, toilet, sink, hot shower, propane stove and table on wheels. I traded cars for the week with a close friend with an SUV that could pull it. When I picked up the trailer, they give you a 30 minute class on how to use and drive the trailer.

I didn’t have sleeping bags, or camping gear of any kind. but the trailer allowed for regular bedding. I packed 1 pot for boiling water, a french press for coffee, 2 bowls, plates, spoons, forks. I had three coolers. 2 medium size for drinks/things that could spoil, and 1 hand held for day trips. There was a fridge/microwave on the trailer, but I never used them.

To get the hang of things, the first couple nights I made a reservation for a site with water/electric/toilet hook ups through an app called HipCamp. It was right on the beach, but not really “nature.” There was wifi. But I spoke to other people there and got advice.

Based on their advice, I decided to just drive up to a national park’s main visitor center (peak July 4th weekend, no reservation) where I asked for advice finding a camping spot. They made a couple calls and it turns out they had lots of drive-in spots in the heart of the actual park. It was majestic, and we had the place virtually to ourselves. We spent July 4th watching a sunset at the tippy top of a mountain range surrounded by Elk while fire works blasted down on the beaches below. Only one other family was up there.

But if that park had been truly full, I would have been able to use the hipcamp app at any time with zero notice to buy a spot outside the National park. A lot of the national parks are surrounded by smaller state parks that also have open spots.

The big thing was to avoid any kind of ambitious cooking. I had visions of steaks, eggs, etc… But the fire is for smores and hot dogs. Maybe corn wrapped in tin foil. For a first timer, stick to sandwiches and fruit.

@cyrilmiami I recommend asking a friend! Find someone who loves to camp and see if they can take you, loan you equipment, and such. Go out with them for a “training camp out” and then you’ll be all set!

It’s super easy, but you need some lessons on setting up tents, locking food away from bears, and how amazing cold campsite morning coffee can taste.

@cyrilmiami You don't need much for camping. For your first trip (if you want to start with tenting) Just bring a tent to one of the bigger campgrounds (like a KOA) as if you forget anything you can just buy it from the store.

The more you camp the more you'll figure out what you need, what you don't use, and what "luxury" items you can bring if there's room.

Kids love it and don't need much, Bring their bikes (if you can fit it), otherwise there are playgrounds, usually games (like volleyball/cornhole) pools to swim in.

Although if you do start with tent camping, go in like May or September to start -- If you start in July/August, you are going to hate yourself as you melt away. in the heat/humidity.

My Kids started camping at 1.5 + 3.5 They love it

@cyrilmiami I introduced my spouse to camping by taking him to a well equipped camp ground. There was a store and shower and maybe a pool? We didn’t hike in. We used the store once because I forgot all our bathroom stuff :) otherwise we stayed at the other end of the campground relatively isolate. He felt secure knowing we could get stuff or whatever if shit went sideways but it didn’t.

First camp with kids we went to a campground that is around 5 miles from a mountain town. We used to go there often. We were able to hike and swim and explore then we went to town once for one meal and go to a farmers market so they could have a smoothie. They remember the smoothie fondly after two days of camping food.

Being close to stuff just in case. That’s the lesson for me. Start with the car camping then when they get older you can push it a bit more. It won’t feel daunting. Oh and for me it’s always colder than I think it’s going to be. Even in the summer. Know what kind of tent you have and make sure you have proper sleep equipment or attire. It’s hard to sleep anyway but being super cold becaise you unzip your sleeping bag and put it over your kid in a panic he might be cold is a real bummer!

@cyrilmiami Where do you live? You can start by renting a cabin at a campground. The yogi bear Jellystone park locations are pretty good. (at least the ones by me). You get all the cool things like campfires and things like that while not having to deal with a tent. Then you can see if you would like to go with a tent or trailer.

@cakbchristian Just got back from a Jellystone. It's basically one step away from backyard camping. It's not camping "in nature", but that's not necessarily a bad thing, you just have to have the right expectations. My kid and the cousins had a blast.

Back