I can’t let my husband’s inabilities hinder us

debus

Of course I’m the SAHP but my husband is a business owner and works from home with a very flexible schedule. Of course he could go with us to our outings which are 1-3 hours every few days but he never comes. When I show him pictures, he gives a sad face and says I wish I could have been there.

As I’m writing this, I’m taking pictures but I won’t share them with him because he can go.

I do know he smokes weed on the garage when we’re not here. He seems to always have time for that.

Our baby is 14 months and I’m doing sleep training and.l bath time. I do our 1 hour bed time routine every night while my husband does what? Smoke. He don’t even tell his baby good night. At no point does he say I’m going to do the routine with you then go smoke. I don’t have an issue with him smoking. Just want to point that out.

I’m trying to potty train our baby. Today was the first day and baby successfully went earlier but this evening he was crying and didn’t want to be on the potty. My husband is like, can he just get up? Does he have to do that? I’m tired of hearing him cry. Please don’t be triggered. like, you knew you were saying something fucked up to me. I’m raising our baby and teaching to eat, and sleep on his own, and other activities and he just can’t be fucking bothered. I was out with the baby all morning and the baby was napping when we returned. He barely had to interact with our baby.

Baby and I went to the library this morning then grocery shopping. Baby needed to eat. I’m calling my husband to fix him something. He sounded so stupid saying he didn’t know what to fix him. No, you do, yo ass just lazy. I wanted to hang up so bad. Luckily there were leftover that he heated up.

We bring in the groceries. He cooks lunch. Does not put away the groceries. They are still sitting in the kitchen in the bags. Then later on he’ll ask if I need help with anything.

How do I address some of these concerns with him? Without sounding like I’m complaining. I’m the type to let it fester and explode. And I think I’m already past the place of just being able to calmly talk about it no unfortunately.

I can’t let him hinder us and not do things with and for my baby because he should be doing it too. He should be doing potty training since we have a boy.

@debus How come you want to sound like you're not complaining? You're right to complain. Complaining is not a bad thing. It's simply voicing your dissastisfaction.

The longer you let it fester without telling him, the longer you will feel dissatisfied. The more the resentment will build. Tell him how you feel. Ask him to step up and be an equal partner and an equal dad. His response will tell you everything you need to know.

Also, your child is too young to potty train.

@greenrock I have heard of elimination communication.

I’m from one of those cultures and my mom did it with me. I wouldn’t describe it as potty training early though. It’s just catching pees and poos.

@jebadoa He’s used the potty before. He can go when I put him on majority of the time.

Any time I voice my dissatisfaction with anything it comes across as a complaint and like I’m being ungrateful for what he’s doing.

@jebadoa Pays the bills
Washes the clothes, I fold and put away
Let’s me sleep in sometimes
Keeps the baby 1x a week for solo time out of the house
Keeps baby while I cook
Sometimes does nap time
Cooks sometimes, like 1-2x a week

@debus That’s not bad! That’s a good start. But do you feel like it’s equal or enough? If you’re unhappy, you should tell him how you feel and the other things you want him to do like join you on family outings, bathtime, bedtime, interact with the baby, put away groceries, etc.

@debus 14 months might be too young to potty train I got two boys I tried training the oldest at 18 month he had zero interest and fought me on it at 2.5 he potty trained in 2 week no accidents after.

As for your lazy asshole I mean husband. Anyway at home we do bed time together. My husband will read two books, I’ll read two book and than we do hugs and kisses and tuck ins. I do bath but he does the dishes. He takes the kids on weekends and I clean the house. He can’t cook so if I’m out he orders the meal. He also sucks at cleaning which is why he takes the kids so I can clean. I do the laundry but he hangs up all our shirts and sorts it all so all I have to do is fold my pants.

You got to give them chores like their little kids cause mine really can’t see when something is dirty or the trash needs to go out. His mom was a slob. So no one taught him the basics.

@pol1905 Ooh. I Can try that. Dishing out chores. I’m sure I won’t get any push back if I say this is how it’s going. Down to them fucking dishes because I’m doing dishes at least 2-3x a day.

@pol1905 I don’t even mind dishes. I would prefer he cooks actually. He’s a better and faster cook than I am, although the same things are always being cooked and I cook different things. But cooking and cleaning is a lot.

@debus It's hard to give advice without knowing if your husband is doing this on purpose or is just unsure what to do. At some point I made it super clear to my husband what my expectations were and he could respond if he wanted something different. For me it was simple. If he was home he was expected to eat meals with us. We traded off bedtime and early waking (I did the night and he did the morning). Now he's a very involved dad and I don't feel like I need to micromanage him in the least. He just didn't know these things because it wasn't what his dad did when he was young.

As for housework, I have changed my cleaning schedule/system a few times. I started with having certain tasks to do on certain days. Anyone could step up and do those tasks when able. We also have split up our areas of responsibility.

Basically, have a direct communication. Know what you want from him and tell him that. Not in an emotional outburst, but like a business meeting. If either of you get emotional end the meeting and try again another time.

Back